Monday, February 20, 2012

Dec 20, 1944 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
Germany, Dec. 20, 1944

Dearest Mother,
Received your tardy, but well received box yesterday entitled “Birthday Box”.
Found the enclosed card very attractive and pretty.  I am sure I will find the contents such as socks, scarf and candies very useful and delicious.  Her box arrived in excellent condition since it was so well packed.
This letter is being written by the Red Cross girl here in our Field Hospital. Her reason for such is that due to a lymphangitis[1] condition of my right arm resulting from an insect bite of one kind or another.  Colonel MacIntyre decided upon putting me to bed and taking shots and etc.  Have been here for two days and hope to be up soon and at that time will write you again.  This condition should cause no anxiety on your part as there is nothing terribly serious.
Enclosed you will find and the rmoney order for the amount of $40.  This is the balance of the money I have which I call surplus after having changed again My Belgium and Dutch currency.  Deposit this to my account.
Received from Cousin Gertrude a pocket book edition of condensed and one full  (?) the Story by Steinbeck.  This will provide reading material to last my period in bed.
This will be all for now and I close in hoping this finds you all well and enjoying good weather at home.

All my love

Your son,
Stanley

Written by American Red Cross


[1] Blood poisoning

No comments:

Post a Comment