Monday, February 20, 2012

December 15, 1944 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
December 15, 1944

Dearest Mother:

Received your letter of Nov 29 today and two days ago your letter of Nov 8.  It seems that the mail I have received for Nov has been very small.  We all complain of the same thing tho.  Also received with yours one from Miss Brode. Received also Air Mail stamps in both letters. Thank You so very much.
We once again have Col. MacIntyre with us and are all contented again.  Altho working for our Major was quite enjoyable and he is a wonderful surgeon.
Muriel’s friend sounds quite interesting and I would like to have the chance to meet him.  I am tired of characterless people.
Yes I know the Bing you speak of.  He used to work at the nursery in his odd moments.  He and wife are very nice people.
I hope that by the time you receive this letter you will have received the negatives which are in one of my recent letters.  The manor house you will find the pictures is one called Marbury Hall built by Lord Barrymore about 1805 at a cost of about $600,000 dollars and I really was quite impressed by the entire affair.  There was a beautiful lake which could be seen from the front of the house and the birch forests from the rear.  They had some beautiful Carrara marble[1] fireplaces that simply outdone everything else.
The reason we were in headquarters was because of our team change, we normally do not return to headquarters and it is not encouraged by them.  Our only reason for being there is for just such a change.  Usually they move us without ever seeing them and which is just as well as far as I am concerned as they all give me a pain with their big shot ideas.  I cannot understand why you do not hear from me more often.  I guess my letters will become a(n) every other day affair and then you will hear perhaps a little more often.
Your moving sounds quite interesting and next letter will carry instructions for the moving of a very few plants.  My return home will then be greatly by a new start in plants.
Anyway you have not moved as yet.  If you do get me a nice room overlooking a garden.
The Christmas seals in last letter are different but rather attraction.  I can use them at the letter heading.
Tomorrow’s your birthday and I certainly wish I were there to help you celebrate it with you.  Perhaps next year.  May you have a nice day.  The clippings are interesting.

As ever,

All my Love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment