Tuesday, February 28, 2012

May 19, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Germany
May 19, 1945

Dearest Mother:

After so many days of not writing I am going to write a few lines this evening to let you know I am still in circulation around Germany.
I have had your letters 15, 16 and 17 which I will not answer now but will do so in the near future.
Was quite sorry to hear of the recent auto accident but am much relieved to hear of Dad getting out of it well and unhurt.  He is very lucky and I am glad of that.
I am now engaged in the allied administration of PW Hospitals.  I am living at one of them in a grand style.  We are in nice rooms with sheets and all and we have maid service at our table.
As far as the German and I (are ) concerned, I am not doing too well and I am not too enthused over it anyway.  I would rather they would learn English and be on an even keel in my own language.
Hamm postcard for sale at Delcampe.net
The grounds around here are very beautiful and have all kinds of interesting copper beech outside there which is by far the most beautiful I have ever seen.  The weather here has been very warm and ideal, except yesterday when I went to Hamm on a trip and then a summer storm came up and drenched everything, but it very soon cleared off and once again when we got back here we had a beautiful thunderstorm which lasted until about midnight when it cleared off and was nice this morning.
I am going back to headquarters for a while tomorrow which will take half a day or so.  That is where most of my time is spent. On the road between one place or the other.
I suppose you are quite busy with the house and all at present.
I was glad to hear of you using the 1,000 dollars.  You may as well have the use of it as the bank.  More regarding this all later.
Well about all for now and I send you my fondest regards and ask you all to take care of yourselves and another and better letter will follow.

All my Love,

Stanley

1 comment:

  1. I am really thankful to you for this great read!! You did a very great job, keep it up Maid Services

    ReplyDelete