Sunday, February 19, 2012

24 October 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
24 October 1944

Dearest Mother:

It is now early morning and it has been sometime since last I wrote to you.  A lot has happened and I have seen a lot of new and beautiful country as you see by the above heading.
After moving here we started right to work and we have the twelve hour shift from 8 to 8 and we therefore spend most of our time sleeping during the day when we have the chance.  For myself I never seem to be quite able to get enough and become accustomed to the night work.  It always seems that my waking up in the evening makes things all wrong.
On our way here I had the chance of seeing the famous Albert Canal and the damage which has been done to it during the fighting and they really do make a mess of some bridges etc when they take a notion to destroy one of them.
I have also seen some of the famous Dutch windmills and they are just as they have always been in the pictures which I have seen.
While still in Belgium I was able to buy two pairs of very inexpensive wooden shoes and have already sent one pair to Ann next door and I am sending the other pair to you with two pieces of lace and two little hand painted pitchers.  The wooden shoes I would like to have you wrap up and give to Jon Matson as a Christmas present from me.  The two pieces of lace are for you and the little clay pitchers you can put away for me.  It will serve as part of an anniversary present to you from me.  Enclosed you will find also a small card which you may like. About all I could find in the way of cards.
In a lot of the windows the Belgi(ans) have pictures of King Leopold and his deceased wife Astrid.  They are quite loyal and patriotic.  They or most of them have flags hanging out or in the windows and here in Holland they have larger flags than either France, Belgium or Luxembourg had on display.
On a couple occasions I was over in Luxembourg, but while there never had the chance to see any of the cities etc enough to really see a difference in it from Belgium.
Our teams here have not received any mail for two weeks so I have none of our questions to answer.
The countryside around us here is very beautiful and is certainly peaceful and quiet in appearance and yet in the distance we can hear the bombardment and see the flashes of light after dark.  The people here practically all wear wooden shoes and they are quite picturesque, more so than any I have seen before.  The horses all wear bells and pull larger loads of things on small carts usually with a child or two on top.  I have never seen such clean struts and harness(?) as they have here.  That was one of the first things that I noticed and it impresses me more so each time I see it.  They have in the past prior to the war been quite modern as the electrical stores are quite frequent as well as other appliance stores are.  The towns are still “off limits” to soldiers so have not had the chance to really see much of them.
Had I mentioned before that Rommel had been kept at the Paris hospital where our headquarters was for a while?  He left there on his way to Berlin the last the people there had seen of him.
The war news from here, that is what we hear of it sounds very good but does not promise “White Christmas” at home or any time quite as spectacular for us.  A remark was made the other day here by a party which I have heard several times before “The political situation is the states has something to do with this”.  I wonder, or have you heard the same?  It came as quite a blow to me here of the death of Wilkie and I undertand Aimee McPherson.  All passed on to her reward.  The news was in one of the army papers I got a hold of.  Was her funeral as elaborate as her life?  From the item I imagine that it must have been.
Have you heard from Hazel Easterman?
Well enough for now and it is about bedtime for myself so I will write again soon.

All my Love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment