Monday, February 20, 2012

10 November 1944


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

10 November 1944
Dearest Mother:
Have before me her on the table you three letters of the 11, 14 and 17 of October which I received upon my arrival at headquarters where I am at present, and am quite pleased to be here for a short time since the weather was none too good where we were in the field.
I saw the first snowfall of the season the other day and indeed it made a beautiful change in the country.  Everything was all white and the falling flakes were quite large, about the size of a quarter.
Was quite surprised to hear in your V-mail of the 11th that my mail has not been going thru. I am going to send this regular mail and see if there is any change in the delivery of this.
The reason for us being in Headquarters is that our hospital has finished in our last location and until assigned another we will be here in the warm building for a change.  We had quite a time of it the other evening with our tents.  About four in the morning a strong gale came up and I mean a strong one, of several miles an hour.  It blew our tent down and did we have a mess.  It was raining so the water came in and soaked several of the others beds etc.  The tent blew down on me so therefore saved me and things from the water. Anyway we got up and fixed it and returned to bed for the balance of our sleep.
Enjoyed very much your enclosures of jokes and stories in your letter of the 14 Oct.  I really enjoyed them and always look forward to them.
Very sorry to hear of Dad not being able to go hunting.  Hope he had better luck on second trip.
Regarding the films.  I can get them developed here but for better service I will send the negatives home to you for prints.  I have some here now which I will soon send to you.  Rolls of undeveloped films would not go thru at all.  I am allowed to take pictures almost any time when I have my camera, which I quite often leave at home, and then is of course when I want it the most.  Pictures of war damage will not pass the censor at all and they are not fond of you taking them and will prevent it if possible.  I have therefore taken none, and besides they do not interest me to any great extent.
Received a letter from Dorothy Kinsfather telling me of her college etc. She is taking Spanish and Chinese, can you imagine such a combination?  Also a letter from Mrs. Matson. I understand Dorothy is very interested in marriage, so I can not quite connect her pursuing languages and wanting to get married at the same time.  Quite a person.  Mrs. Matsons’ letter was quite interesting as always and she tells me they have sent a couple packages.  I wish you would discourage so much attention my way from so many people.  I feel obligated to them.
I am quite pleased to hear of the popcorn etc being on the way.  I surely appreciate it.  You can charge my request things to me.  You can forget the powdered milk since the chocolate can be made with water.  The tea I am quite sure will be satisfactory.  I am able to get all the necessary sugar.
Jay Elmont[1] in his letter received yesterday tells of being out to dinner so I guess he now owes you a dinner again.  That is getting to be a vicious circle, isn’t it?
In regards to your questions about our teams. We have had quite a set back recently. Col MacIntyre is having to return to Headquarters and we are going to get another surgeon.  We are all quite disappointed at the Colonel having to go.  Otherwise our team was a big success.  We done a lot of surgery and the Colonel has done some beautiful work.
We were not at Calais since that was practically British.  Some of our teams are at all the prominent places along the front.
Thanks a lot for the second copy of the poem.  I have the other copy here and will take your advice and carry this one in my wallet.
Anita Ringley mentioned Yvonne’s noninterest in “North Eastham House”.  Do not blame her.  Have you ever heard of Grandfather Matthews will as yet?
Well all for now, and I will start writing more often and different ways.  The envelope is German.

All my Love,

Stanley

NOTE from the transcriber:
ARMY NINEH = probably Army Ninth…  That is where he was in actuality so that fits.


[1] Found a passport picture f Jay Elmont on Ancestry.com and the 1930 US census lists his occupation as “Artist - Music and Radio Field”; and the directories have him listed as an act director, living at 421 W 8th Street, Los Angeles in 1917- as a decorator,  h2139 Branden in 1918 – Manager Gillette Safety Razor Co, r815 O’Farrell in 1920 and 1921 h2139 Branden
The California Death Index shows he died on 12 Dec 1946, in Los Angeles.(he was b 1 Jan 1883 in Ohio).Passport lists a David Elmont as his father (b NY)

No comments:

Post a Comment