Saturday, February 25, 2012

April 1, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
3
Germany
April 1, 1945

Dearest Mother:

After a busy night I will sit down this morning for a few lines to you and also to tell you that I received yesterday your beautiful Easter card and enclosed note and clipping.  The clipping is very interesting.
My Easter spirit was more or less forgotten.  I thought of sending some kind of card but just completely forgot the whole thing.
So far have received all of your letters up to No7 which was received with the Easter cards I really like the numbering system and will keep my own straight from now on.
My Easter Sunday was rather uneventful and I spent all of my time in our quarters.  Attended services and communion in the morning, which was the first time I had been to church in some time.  The chaplain is no good at all where I was last.  I really like the one they have here and he is a real speaker.
We are in a real nice building here and are quite comfortable and life in general is rather nice.  They have a very attractive garden here which looks very nice to me from here and I shall investigate on a nice day.
I do not believe I have mentioned it previously but while at headquarters Col. Gay offered me the chance to apply for a battlefield commission, but my answer was NO for several reasons which are to lengthy to mention here.
Enclosed you will find two orders of our headquarters noting my recent team  changes.  You can put them away for me as they may be of uses some day.

April 7 – 2pm
I grew rather tired this morning so decided to get some more sleep.  Already this afternoon I have gone for a walk into the before mentioned garden and find it very attractive and there are some very interesting plants there.  The apple trees there are coming into bloom and are simply beautiful.  They of course have the ever present Rhubarb in abundance.  All of the vines are coming out into new leaf.
When I was in Maastricht, Holland they had some rather nice collections in their city park all arranged n different collections.  They also have a deer park with two types of deer and a very large bear.
When you mentioned Uncle Ned (---?) Mr. Matson did he know who he was at the time.
I was very glad to hear your opinion on the picture “Frenchmen’s Creek”.  I am in hopes of seeing it.
I am very glad to hear of Dad’s health improving and hope he is well again soon.  You have not mentioned your own recently.  Hope he does not have to return to the garage soon.
In regards to your question about Kupfer’s violin playing.  He plays very well and plays both by ear and music.  He just recently returned from a pass to Paris. 
Major Skinner is still with us and I saw him in January when I happened to be at the hospital he is located in.  Both he and Major Grubin are doing some beautiful work. 
Most of the last few lines are answers to your letters starting with yours of Feb 25.
The silver pitcher came from Fontainebleau, France and was supposed to have belonged to the Empress Josephine at one time.  Quite a unique story as to how I came into possession of it.
You have not mentioned the mine recently.  Are they doing anything on them or what are their plans?
The reason for our living in private homes while at the Evacuation Hospital was for lack of quarters.  The buildings used for hospital were just large enough for such purpose. We all lived in one place or the other.  We of course had all of our meals at the hospital kitchen.
Had I mentioned previously that I had received two letters from Joseph from last October.  They all had just 339 on them and no designation of organization on it.
In reference to my questions regarding the will, I was referring to Grandpa Matthews will.  I know of course from one of your later letters the answer.  What were the special bequests to other members of the family? Did Gladys get what she thought she would.
All troops here were issued sleeping bags according to WD directives.  Every once in a while they make a reissue of things such as new jackets as we are getting now.  They are a much nicer type, but not quite as warm.
I am glad to hear of you buying new records and tying them out on the phonograph.  That is the reason it is there for.  Your latest additions sound very nice and I am sure they are nice.  “Il Bacia” is very nice.  I saw a picture while in Maastricht regarding the life of Ernest Ball the composer.  The picture had a lot of very good music.  Have you seen “Rhapsody in Blue”” yet? Also saw “Mr Skeffington” with Bette Davis which was very good.  It was the last I saw which was a couple months ago.
Very pleased to hear of the apricot and avocado tree doing well, to(o) bad they can not be moved.
In regards to your question about the clipping regarding the furloughs after the ETO.  I do not know but the CBI looms ahead for some reason to me.
Received Nelson’s address and will write him soon as it may take some time for my last to be forwarded to him.
What happened that Don Finley went into the Navy? I should have imagined he would have be (en) exempted with family etc.
If you wish you may give one of the small plates (Delft) to Muriel.  And only give Thelma one large and one small one.
Your war stamp chain sounds interesting and I am looking forward to hearing more of it.
While we were in Holland I did not see many tulips as the season was wrong and they grow the large bulbs of them further west nearer the coast.  A little place called Heize was the fartherest North in Holland from Eindhoven. That  was way last year tho. That was the place the tents blew down.  Remember?
Well about all for now and thank you for the Air Mail stamps and the jokes which were very good.

(Note from transcriber: Strange ending for the letter… no page is missing that I have found.  Nothing else for this letter)

No comments:

Post a Comment