Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 13, 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
February 13, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Have here your two letters of Jan 25 and 29 which I received about four days ago.  There is a lapse of time between them and your last ones of January but I am like you in being glad to receive them no matter in what order.
Our team is now at work again and we are at an Evacuation hospital this time.  You have heard me speak of Col MacIntyre before.  He is Chief of Surgery here now.  We, for some reason, are the only surgical team here.  We are living in private homes and Saunders and myself are the only two living here in our house.  We find it quite a novel experience and interesting in some ways.  It is quite hard for myself to adapt myself to living in someone else’s home and going in and out more or less at our will.
I am quite sorry to hear of both Dad and yourself having so much bad health and I hope you both get well again soon.
Your mention of the blood reminds me to tell you regarding our use of it.  You are right regarding the east coast donations coming here. Anyway all I have used here has come from the East.  Some of it reaches here in about seven days.  There is perhaps other which gets here sooner, which I do not see.  The plasma I have never paid much attention to.
We have certainly had some rather messy weather here recently with all the rain which has followed the slush which we have had after the snow.  I would like to see the sun come out for a couple days drying everything out for a change.
The people here were saying that four years of English are required in the schools along with German, French and during the occupation Italian.  So you see, we do not have too much trouble getting around.
I believe I mentioned previously of receiving the pictures.  Some of them are very good while others were a failure.
How does it happen that Russell Morgan is again returning to business?
You have heard me mention Leonard Johnson previously.  He is now down in the First Army area at a Battalion headquarters of some kind.  He was in the recent breakthrough area.
It is all news to me regarding Marshall expecting to leave Portland at all.  For what reason?  I thought his location there was rather permanent.
I like the picture of yourself in your Jan 29 letter.  The glasses do not hurt your looks any and in fact make you look rather distinguished in a way.  I am very glad to have this picture and am always glad to receive them.
I understand they are cleaning up England of all misc. troops except actual maintenance groups such as Medical etc. Herb Burdick’s group is very likely considered now essential for England.
I can think of not much else so I guess I will bring this to a close and send you all my regards as always.

All my Love,
Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment