Wednesday, February 22, 2012

January 18, 1945 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
January 18, 1945

Dearest Mother:

With Kupfer playing Schubert’s “Serenade” in the background, your favorite, and the wind, a cold one in the building outside, making a weird sound, I will sit down and write you a few lines.
The snow is practically all gone now since the wind has melted it and everything is quite glassy outside from the frozen water from the snow covering everything again.
Enclosed you will find a clipping which may intend you and also the photograph promised in my last letter.  I hope you like it, since it is really not too good but I think better than San Antonio anyway.  Do not ask as to when I obtained them and do not ask the same question regarding the price as you did the last ones.  I am going to send two large ones and the balance of these to you in another package.  Have already sent one “unscented” to Jay.  As you remember he sent one picture back that I did not sign.
We are starting to attend lectures now and the(y) show promise of being very interesting.  I will again start taking notes in my notebook and make use of it.  Another thing which I may start doing is a little rough sketching, even tho very poor it may be sort of a picture for me in the future.
Had I mentioned previously that Col. MacIntyre is no longer with the 5th and we now have the former Asst Surgeon for a team chief.  We really hated to see the Col. Leave and I shall miss him some since he was always such a wonderful person to work for.  Our new team chiefs name and rank is Major Pratt, and he comes from Oklahoma.
The lazy people here in headquarters certainly get on my nerves with their waste of time.  I have always wanted the chance to do the things.  I am now doing and they grow the same.  I take advantage of my spare time while I have it.
Well this is about all for now and Kupfer is finishing off with “Ave Maria” so I had better close also.
Give my regards to everyone.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment