Wednesday, February 29, 2012

May 31, 1945


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Bielefeld, Germany
May 31, 1945

Dearest Mother :

Here this morning before departure for headquarters.  I will write you a few lines and let you know the happenings of the last few days here in Bielefeld.
Two days ago we were all called to headquarters, and the rumors are wild. Some say we go to the Pacific via the states, others say direct, and still others have other ideas on the subject.   Well more on the subject in a couple days.
The other day I was taken by one of the people at the house, to the Botanical Garden[1], and much to my surprise they really have a beautiful one here with a good many plants, some of which I had not seen previously, others are old acquaintances.  The names of course are the same and the curator and myself got on very well.  I took some pictures which I hope turn out well.  They had some beautiful Iris there which excel anything before seen by me.  Some day, I will have a large collection of them, I hope.
Again the other day instead of writing or otherwise, I went up to a castle[2] on the hill here which is quite old and had a very nice time.  The place is very historic and only recently was used for aircraft observation, which resulted in the bridge being blown out by bombs. Well anyway I was so very pleased that the boy got one of the German patients who is an artist to make me a water color of it for me which was delivered last night to me and it is truly a beautiful piece of work, and I will have it on its way very soon.  Well on and on I have gone until I have practically see all around here in the way of scenic value.
The people here are very sad to have the Americans leave and the British takeover.  They do not seem to have much use for the English.  Perhaps that has been ingrained into them for so long a time.  I have learned a lot about them since my arrival here and I have some definite impressions on them.
Well this is about all for now as my time is short and I will write longer and better the next time.

All my Love,
 
Your Son,
Stanley
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment