Monday, February 27, 2012

May 8, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Germany  10
May 8, 1945 VE Day

Dearest Mother:

VE Day is here and all is the same as it was yesterday and the day before.  Everyone has on his mind one primary thing “When do I go home”.  To me I am none too worried over that event.  Of course I am anxious but there is a lot ahead for us in my way of thinking and I may as well settle down and console myself to the thought.
The day here is indeed very beautiful with the sun bright and warm, and for a change things are getting a good airing and are being dried out.
Perhaps on Thursday or Friday I shall be returning to headquarters.  Most of the hospitals are taking care of liberated boys now, which is what we may be doing before long to occupy our time.  Headquarters is moving back into American territory as all troops are withdrawing into their own territory.  Part of Sgt Ryan’s team was up where they had their pictures taken in front of a sign which read 88km to Berlin.  That would really be a picture, for very few of us will get too much further to Berlin.
Outside the lilacs are in full bloom and the tulips are just about gone.  Have the apricot or avocado tree produced any fruit this year.  Perhaps in due time they may both be replaced for something else of better quality.  Has dad as yet enlarged the garage?  You now have a place where the son-in-law can come & live. Ha ha
I have waited for the last two mail deliveries for mail, but have received none and that takes care of five days, so with no mail to answer or questions to answer I will close now hoping to have more to say more the next time.
Take care of yourself.

All my Love

Stanley
Another picture enclosed

No comments:

Post a Comment