Tuesday, February 21, 2012

December 26, 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
December 26, 1944

Dear Mother:

Surprise! Another note just to let you know that I am still here and so far am enjoying myself a great deal while I have the opportunity.
Today Sgts Kupfer, Olson and myself started out after lunch and saw a little of the town and again I saw some things which I had not seen on previous trips.  We stopped in at the Red Cross doughnut and coffee shop for coffee and doughnuts which were delicious since it required an overcoat outside and also my new scarf which I find quite comforting here.  There was ice on the canal and ice on all the small puddles which remained there all day.  After the coffee etc we went further and discovered they were having a concert with a choir and they were having a concert with a choir and soprano soloist, so we had to take that in also and found it quite enjoyable and a lot of good music which has been my first since leaving the states.  After the concert we came back and had a snack made up of our Xmas presents.  We had not had enough gadding then so decided to take in another stage show and found it very good and a lot of good amusement there.  We are now all back and have settled down to letter counting etc.
I wrote a letter last night to Mrs. Tedesco, Nelson and Whitney who is now in France somewhere.  My letter writing is all caught up as the mail I have received of late has been very little.  In fact none of us over here have received any great load.  We have received our package tho in fairly good order.
You know that while I was in bed I received the same care as is routine for the other ward patients which included 240,000 units of penicillin divided into a total of 12 shots plus a lot of sulfa every 4 hours (q 4h). You can figure up the cost in civilian life at 20,000 units per shot.  Amazing the things they do here.
Well this is about all for now and I will write again soon.  I expect to have the time.

All my Love, your son

Stanley
Enclosed find an article you may be interested in.


No comments:

Post a Comment