Monday, February 20, 2012

December 9, 1944 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
December 9, 1944

Dearest Mother:

Received your letter of Nov 23 the day before yesterday and was very pleased as usual.
Outside there is some snow this evening and as usual I was quite enthralled by the snowflakes on their downward descent.
I guess that I never mentioned our Thanksgiving day.  Yes, we had turkey and all the rest of the fixings.  It was really all quite delicious and we all enjoyed it.  The day otherwise was uneventful and was just another day for most of us.
Your mention of a new hat sounds quite interesting and I am quite sure it looks quite nice on you despite the remarks which Muriel makes.  And I think you are right a loose hairdo would make you appear as you state.
I liked your drawing but again your idea of a picture would be better.
I heard the Bing Crosby song you speak of today only he sang it in person.  We have a loudspeaker system here.  I have heard the Hour of Charm orchestra.
You will find included in this letter a money order for thirty-five dollars $35, which you may add to my bill.  There will be more to follow as soon as I get the balance of my money exchanged.  We were paid in German marks this last pay day and the Belgian francs of 500 and 1000 francs are no longer any good here or elsewhere so I will have to turn them in.  They have had a lot of counterfeit around so have taken those steps.  My Dutch money will also require exchanging.  What a mess the entire affair of money over here is mess.  They can pay me in American dollars any day.  What we are going to do with the marks is a question anyway. We can buy nothing anyway.
Received a card and note from Sgt Ryan yesterday and he has the same opinion of their mess as I have.  Still the same old Ryan tho.  I envy him at times, and no one is taking advantage of him as they are others in our group.  He is also here in Germany.
Well this is about all for now and I hope this finds you well and hoping you stay well.
My birthday was uneventful other than work the same as usual and cutting the fruit cake for the first time.  Really is good an I thank you so very much for it.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment