Saturday, February 18, 2012

3 September 1944


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York
New York

3 September 1944

Dearest Mother:

From here in one of the main tents, which we have electric current from a generator (which reminds me of our des(s)ert) and an electric phonograph which we have playing an all classical program this evening.  I am writing you this letter.  It has been fourteen days since I received a letter from you and am looking forward to again receiving one.
Ryan was telling me this evening that we were like a bunch of gypsies and he is not far from wrong.  He sometimes certainly hit the nail on the head when it comes to things of that type.  I went about two miles down the road this afternoon for a shower and am therefore at the present time feeling a little cleaner than I usually feel.
We went out yesterday and done a little leading for some carrots and onions which were very good.  You would die if you were to see me trying to talk with them around here.  I usually give up and call it a bad job.  There are a few very prosperous farms around here which have some very nice looking stock.
Well from the news we hear the Armies are really doing a good job and it should be not too far off when it is over here in Europe.  And the period after offers a lot of room for speculation on what is to happen, and what is more I do not care other than to get the entire mess all over and get all of us home again and let the AMG do as they wish.  They are certainly going to have their hands full no matter what they attempt.
We found in out wanderings today a huge Horse Chestnut tree just loaded with chestnuts (non edible).  They are very beautiful and interesting when polished.  Mr. Vosberg had a couple which he prized very much.  If only he were here and could see them by the hundreds.  I have never seen so many apple trees in all my life, as they have here, but they are not the eating kind, and are not quite ripe.  They will quite often have their stock which includes sheep, cows and horses grazing among the trees.  Well I have gone far enough if not too far in the description of the surrounding terrain.
Some time in the future you can also send me some Air Mail stationary and air mail envelopes plus air mail stamps (6¢) which I want you to charge to me.  Also send me the figures on what I owe you after the first allotment arrives.  Sometime in the near future I want more Am T & T stock which I want to know the present price of.  I have not seen the quotations on stock since I left the states.  I do not want to get too far behind in the way of owing people, especially for stock.
I understand of Nathans, is not too healthy, from what I hear.
Well enough for now and my next will follow a little closer.

All my love
As ever,

Stanley
Joes birthday is the 7th

Note from the transcriber: NINTH - he is telling his parents he's with the 9th Army?  That is the army the 5th Auxiliary Surgical Group was attached too...   IS there another message in the birthday date? mmm

No comments:

Post a Comment