Saturday, February 25, 2012

March 19, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
March 19, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Altho no news from you since last I wrote you I will write a few things this evening.
I once again have moved and am on a new team but till in Germany as you see by the heading.  I have never mentioned in any of my previous letters any of  my present team officers.  Altho here I find a very agreeable group of enlisted men who I have been friendly with before at Ft Sam.
I have just completed a very ornate leather writing or stationary portfolio which will replace the one which Miss Mosher gave me prior to leaving worn with all my travels.  This one should last for some time and them some.
I took a very nice walk into the fields from here today and became very much refreshed by the pleasant countryside, since it has been sometime since I have been in the country.  The countryside certainly shows signs of the coming Spring.  The Pussy Willow have become full blown trees and shrubs are beginning to bud and will soon burst forth in their fresh green splendor.  For some reason I have noticed Spring here more so than ever before.
The other day I received a couple letters which were mailed in December.  They were both Christmas cards, one form Miss Mosher and the other from her nephew.  Also a letter of more recent date from Sgt Rapp telling me he is the father of a baby girl.
I was in to headquarters the other night for a visit and they are in a former textile mill and are quite well situated.  Some of the looms are just as they were left when they fled.  Some of the rolls are only partially completed.  I enjoy going thru some of these mansions which the Nazis have fled and left. They have certainly lived like kings here in some of their places.  They of course have been gone only a short time.  Some of the homes still have plants and such still alive in their green houses and solariums.  And the furniture is certainly all in a grand manor.  Some of the places the furniture is being moved out because it is of such value.  The signs remaining of their existence showed a very pleasant and idle one.  You can well imagine my glory in going thru some of these places.  Can’t you?
Well once again it is bed time and I am ready since it has been a very active day for me since I have played baseball etc for the first time in some time. 
Hope you are all well and happy.
I remain,

Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment