Monday, February 20, 2012

November 14, 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
November 14, 1944

Dearest Mother:

Here again this evening the time has come around for another letter to you, but I find being stationed here in headquarters as we are I have not too much news.
Have received letters from Aunt Dell telling of not receiving any letters from me, and I just mailed one a short time ago and then again the day before receiving hers.  I fail to understand the mail situation.  Also a letter from Mrs. Matson, Miss Mosher which by the ay will not be opened until 5 December.  Received a V-Mail from Thelma Chapin telling me of a package on the way.  Another from Jay which is already answered and on its way.
I am sending a few antique Delft tiles to a few people such as Mrs. Matson, Jay and Thelma, which I think they will like, at least I hope so.  I have part of them and will obtain the balance and get them on their way.  They are quite nice and are about the only thing I can think of anyone would care for and there is really nothing much here that one can get.  As you know we are not even allowed to buy anything to eat here other than fresh fruit of one kind or another. I am very fond of the apples which they now have here for sale.  Things in the way of wearing apparel are all rationed.
Was very glad to hear of your receiving the silver, which by the way I was beginning to worry about.  The silver spoon by the way was a gift so do not think I was cheated because of its condition.  The salt cellar was one of an original three, all of which were on a small silver tray.  The pepper was one of two, but the other one was rather battered and of poor appearance and balance.  Hope you are able to use them.  When you get the cards you will know more about them and the real history was made by me taking them from England and how they finally reached the shores of France.  They really worried me for a while.  Your letter telling me of their arrival really made good time, mailed 30 Oct and reached me two days ago.  Faster for a change.
Have seen two pictures recently, the first in months.  One of which you mention, “Gent of Barbary coast[1] with Wallace Beery and the other “Marriage is a Private Affair[2] Lana Turner.  Liked the former but could have gotten along without the latter.  They have them in an old opera house here which in its day has been a grand place.
In one of your recent letters you mention passing under the Arc de Triomphe.  Well as a matter of fact, no vehicles pass under it.  The Tomb of France’s Unknown Soldier is buried under it and the Eternal Torch burns there.  Pictures can be taken after the vehicles have gone around the star or “Etoile” and are leaving the Arc so that they look that way.  People can walk under, in fact troop do.  The size of it is immense and really surprise me.  I have some post cards of it which I am going to send home soon in fact will enclose one in this letter.
The sweet potato crop on the lot sounds very interesting, but the soil there should be very rich and ideal for them.
The venison does sound very good and I would enjoy some of it.
Well about all for now, and will write soon again.  Hope this reaches you all in good health and hoping you are taking care of yourself.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment