Wednesday, February 15, 2012

April 4, 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

April 4, 1944 (enveloped stamped May5)

Dear Mother:
I decided to try and write you a few lines this evening and perhaps catch up again to my two letters per week at last. 
For the past three days I have been going up and helping Sgt Rapp clean out his house on the post and get it ready for his wife who is coming down in a couple of weeks.
We are cleaning all the floors and wood work and are going to hang curtains etc.  He tells me he is quite glad to have my knowledge of home making with me.  He tells me he has never had anything to do with that sort of thing before.  I will go into details of the house at a later time.
I received your letter of the 28th telling me of Richard’s missing over Austria and I shall have to write Mrs. Miner a letter soon.  It is certainly too bad and I am sorry to hear of it.  It very likely hit Mrs. Miner quite hard as she has already been quite sick of his being over there, let alone the fighting.  I hope there is the chance that he may be in enemy hands as a prisoner.  I am the same as you regarding the control of emotions when it comes to subjects of this kind.
We have heard nothing but bivouac for the last few weeks here in the offices and they have talked of flying both going and returning by air to such places as Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Great Lakes, etc.  But we will very likely end up by going up here to Marfa, Texas or Hot Springs, Arkansas, at least I hope so.
The other day we had a very nice hike with a swim afterwards during which time one of the Majors helped me with my swimming.  I often wonder if I will ever be able to swim.
Received a letter from Jay the other day and I will have to return him a short note.  I send him short ones in answer to his short ones.  He tells me that Aunt Nina and Uncle Bill are just his friends.
I am going to go to Fort Worth one of these weekends on a three day pass to see the Botanical Gardens there which should be very nice now.  Mrs. Tedesco tells me that the roses are very nice there now.
It would make a nice trip for me and some relaxation.
The weather here has been none too good the last couple days.  A cold wind combined with rain all day today and rain all day yesterday and the day before.  And this office was like a barn all day and I had to wear my field jacket all day and my raincoat when I did not have the jacket on outside.  We have been having some spectacular lightning storm here also and the tent would be as bright as day at times during the night.  The frogs are really coming out and they are making their noise all night.
The Medical Laboratory next door (is) giving out blanket furloughs so they will very likely be on their way soon.  A person would really be surprised to see the great number of fellows which I have known in the posy, back here at Ft.Sam Houston in the reassignment antic who have already been overseas and back already for some reason or the other.
Well I am tired now so will close send you my love and asking you to take care of yourself.
What is Maibelle’s sons name?  Jerry what?

Love,
Stanley
Hope you can read this…

No comments:

Post a Comment