Friday, February 17, 2012

10 July 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

10 July 1944

Dear Mother:

About time that I was deciding to sit myself down and write you another line or so.  Received your last one Saturday.  I imagine you are quite tired out after all of the visiting and of course you, as usual I suppose, got well behind in all of your work.  Well anyway do not work too hard trying to make it all up.  Take things a little easier as I hope to do after getting aboard the train and on our way.
Well now I will explain what all of the grand rush was over the money.  I decided to finally send my good wrist watch home and get another one.  I have always been afraid of losing it or having something happen to it.  So I bought another one for $23.10 and am quite well pleased. Shockproof and waterproof supposedly.  I did not want to spend everything I have on one watch since the month is a long way off now and a lot of things are going to happen and I will be prepared.  Received your box of walnuts, razor blades and tooth brush and I want to thank you a lot for them.  I mailed the wrist watch home Saturday and you should get it soon.  We have had our time extended so will be here a few days longer from what I hear.
We are just about all packed now and everything is in readiness to go and the sooner the better, since we are under such a pressure all the time in our present state.  I have packed three crates of professional books and do not care if I never see another one.  I also am sending a few home that I have collected here and there, since I came into the army. You may have to go to the depot to pick it up tho.
There will be some parcels of letters tied together which you can put away for me and the rest do as you wish.
I played the smart one the other day and lost my set of keys which included the one to my leather case and another to my footlocker and last the one to the office here.  Somewhere up town in the show, I believe.  I saw “The Story of Dr. Wassell[1] and thought it very good.  So I had to take the front off the case lock and break the footlocker open.  They had another key, for the office.  I really had quite a time of it. 
I got another pair of shoes and like them very much.  I will send the other ones home and if I need them will send for them.  They are still in very good shape but I do not know what the conditions are where we are going, as far as shoes are concerned.
The new ones are the ¾ shoes and are very comfortable I must have a change from my GI’s.  I would rather take something of that type than some of the other things which they are taking.
Major Grubin is taking my camera for me. Enlisted men are not supposed to have them in their possession on the boat.  The same with all other electrical equipment etc.
You will also find two wool shirts in locker which you can have Dad wear if he can.
Received a letter from Arnold Mansfield, Sunday.
1 page as usual. Nothing much too say.
Well it is bedtime for me now so I will close for now but will try to write again soon.
Take care of yourself.

All my love,

Your son

No comments:

Post a Comment