Sunday, February 26, 2012

April 23, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
6  
Germany
April 23, 1945

Dearest Mother:
On some of recently arrived stationary I will again write a few lines this evening.
The packages arrived, Plasma box and all the other day in very good shape. I am looking forward to having the shrimp and the jasmine tea.  Thank you a lot for sending them to me.  I really like the stationary and the envelopes.  They will come in handy as I am just about out of my other.
It does not seem as tho you have had the Buick three years,  How time flies by.
I was very glad to hear of the wooden shoes arriving home as now I can consider my obligations all taken care of.  The statue was made in Maastricht, Holland in their world famous clay and pottery factory.  They prior to the war made beautiful wall plates and I hope to obtain some of them in the future.  The little bottles you mention are different types of German sections, the same for the small boxes.
Regarding the “Readers Digest” renewal.  You go ahead and renew it for me.  I have no idea how long it would take me to get a money order here where I now am.  If she takes orders for anything else of interest such as Time, you can subscribe to it for me also.  That is the so called “Pony edition”.  The Digest has been coming thru alright.
Yes it does seem strange to me even, that I have seen so many places and things while over here.  Some of course have been very interesting and have given me the idea that I want to return some day again.
The last couple days have been very wet and cold and I am in hopes of it clearing up and drying out soon.
I have done nothing since my arrival here so wonder how long we will remain here.  There are few teams in this area with us.
The bulbs which you speak of are very likely “Muscari” or “Grape Hyacinth”.  They are exceptionally nice and they have a lot of them over here.
I see where your letter of April 2 was again returned for more postage.
In your letter of April 5, No11, the last I have from you, you enclosed a clipping regarding “Hitler’sHideout”.  I have heard of it but doubt if I will have the chance to see it.
Very glad to hear of you going to the desert for a change.  How are the fruit trees doing that Dad took up and planted?
Yes, Jay is quite strange with his predictions. Without a doubt I will go out to further places before returning home.  Either here or elsewhere.
Will you send me my watchband and a bottle of Vicks Vapor rub salve when you get the chance.  Also a bottle of Listerine.  I have been unable to get anything of that type over here.  Not too large a bottle of Listerine.
Well I can think of nothing more for now so will close for now, bidding you all good night.

All my Love,

Stanley
PS: Thank You for the Air mail stamps

No comments:

Post a Comment