Friday, February 17, 2012

June 29, 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

June 29, 1944

Dearest Mother:

I had better begin another letter to you, so as to be able to keep up our or rather try to keep up my two a week which has failed quite often here lately.
Our time here is I believe growing near an end. I think that if we see two more week-ends here we will be lucky.  They have a bivouac planned for the officers and nurses for Monday and Tuesday of next week and after that I do not believe it will be long.
Everyone here knows we are ready to leave and are all excited over the whole affair and are all telling us goodbye. Ha Ha. Have I mentioned that the group next door is going thru San Francisco on their way out.
Received your letter of the 21 June which you mailed on the 24, the other day. Very glad to hear of Aunt Edith and daughter visiting you and hope dad and yourself have a nice time.
Well we have really had a bit of excitement here the last couple days with the nurses.  I knew of course that it was coming all the time.  One of the truck drivers had taken the nurses somewhere and was waiting for them when one of them returned early and found him laying in the back of the truck asleep and she awoke him and from what I hear suggested he use her lap for a pillow, so in such a position did the second nurse in charge a(t) Brooke General, a major, find them, and oh! The fireworks did start.  Officers, nurses and enlisted men have all been given lectures on the subject and enlisted men told to stay away from the nurses entirely etc.
Last Saturday they had a field inspection of all three groups and a ceremony of giving out some more Good Conduct Medals to the enlisted men.  Quite a display and everyone and their dog was there to see it. It is quite a rare thing to see so many officers and nurses together at one time.
Major Grubin is on a two day leave and I am here alone in the office and have had nothing too difficult come up yet.  He will (be) back on Saturday.
Today about two o’clock after about four weeks of terrific heat it started to cloud up and a strong wind came up, and within a few minutes it was pouring.  It has done the same thing three or four times since then and everything is all soaked but will soon dry out when the heat returns again.
I have been really doing a lot of cataloguing and packing of manuals of all kinds the last few days, and have just about gotten all of them and I hope to have them all mailed in by Wed. of next week.
You might start hoarding some tea for me because I am or may want some where I think we are going.  In that case you can send me some and I can have hot tea of an afternoon.
You are going to get this footlocker of mine soon and it will be nailed shut but you open it and put away the things as I will inform you later.
Enclosed you will find a couple pictures which may interest you.  I was afraid to have them sent home for fear of not getting them back in time.

All my love,
Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment