Wednesday, February 29, 2012

May 22, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Germany -  13
May 22, 1945

Dearest Mother
After such a long time the censorship has been lifted and the idea alone inspires me to write a few letters today.
From my room here, which is a corner room on the third floor of a German civilian hospital I can see for some distance in places where the trees do not restrict my view.  The sky is overcast and has been trying to rain but perhaps eventually the sun perhaps will shine.
Another sergeant and myself are the only ones here, and that is only for the military portion of the hospital of which they have 200.  Our business is merely the Allied Administration of POW Hospitals and the last place I was doing the same work only the major was with me.  He is now across town at another hospital.  I only make rounds with him once in a while.
My last station was at Bad Salzuflen, which is one of the very beautiful little towns in the famous resort center of Germany.  The Wehrmacht turned it into a hospital center before their defeat and we have taken over and are clearing out all the sick POWs.  Our house there was surrounded by beautiful gardens full of trees, shrubs and flowers. We have gardens here but we are more or less in a hotel.  We had maid service there for everything including the serving of the meal.  We have the same here. And the beds here are the real thing for comfort.
You will find our location not far off the Autobahn south of Hannover in case you have a map there.
The last place had hedges (artificial) constructed through which the run water slowly, and when the breezes blew thru them the air became cooled.  They had a great number of them all about 30 feet high in various places around the hospitals.
The town here is quite torn up since it was a German Army headquarters and hospitals or not they had to get the headquarters.
You mention Iris being in bloom in your letter No15.  Here in the resort place which I am (at) they have been originated here and are really beautiful.  You should also see the Rhododendrons which they have here.  Nurseries are quite abundant here.  Pansies are certainly beautiful in the large beds outside.
You perhaps can tell from the outward appearances of things that I am very happy at present, despite the enclosed clippings which I have always known would more than likely happen, as I have told you previously that I did not expect to get out for some time to come, so the news does not affect me too much.  The MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) number of 861 is mine and the 225 is Sgt Ryan since he is a male nurse.  The doctors are all worried now since they are declaring us essential.  Ha Ha!
Has Mrs. Miner heard anything of Richard yet?
Received a very nice letter from Howard Kiel the other day.  Also others received have been from Thelma, Aunt Dell, Jay, Miss Mosher and Joe.
In your letters 16 and 17 you at the time were expecting something to happen.  I often before then had heard of things happening but that type of thing always take time. Conditions here with the Displaced Personnel such as the Russians is becoming impossible in more ways than one.  But enough of this for now as the time will come when I can tell you more.
Glad to hear of you getting the chickens.  You should save the best rooster of the bunch and have your own source of chicks hereafter.
Muriel’s birthday has slipped upon me without me knowing it so it you think of something she wants within reason, will you get it for her as a present from me?
You need not worry about replacing the money too soon.  If you need it for other things, do not fail to use it for such, as I am in no need of it here and perhaps will not be for some time.  No need of caching bonds for cash as long as you have my money handy.  You have invested in them so get the full value from them.
I had a notion some time ago to ask you for Mrs. Ohashi’s address, only I thought it would seem rather strange to him if not an insult.  You get it for me and I may be able to use it some day in the administration of Japanese hospitals etc.  Would be rather interesting.
Well about all for now and thanks for the airmail stamps enclosed in two letters and I hope this reaches you in good health and that Dad is well recovered from the accident.

All my Love,

Stanley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment