Tuesday, February 21, 2012

December 24, 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
December 24, 1944

Dearest Mother, Dad and Muriel,

Received your V-Mail of December 2, the day before yesterday and was quite please to hear from you again since it had been about then days ago since I had last heard from you.  They are using what transportation they have left for packages and the 1st class will come later since all transportation is being used elsewhere.
I was quite pleased to hear of you enjoying your anniversary at the races and I am anxious to hear from you regarding your day.
My arm is well healed now and once again I will have to resume my writing and catch upon my mail.  I will be far behind again.  The hospital had a couple very beautiful Christmas trees and quite a few other nice decorations which added a nice touch to things.  The headquarters here has a very pretty tree and all are engaged in a Christmas spirit and I was until this afternoon.
I had a box which I had put the popcorn and the chocolate, dried fruit in the blue cellophane wrapper and the salt in for safe keeping. So last night I put it under my bed after arriving here and this afternoon I discovered it gone.  Some dirty sticky fingered individual here seems to have wanted it more than I.  It certainly burns me up to think that above all else we put up with here that we have to live and put up with this type of person.  A person of this type does not deserve to exist over here in my opinion.  Enough of this before I become angry.
I opened this evening the little package with the billfold and I really like it and think it very attractive and nice and sincerely want to thank you for such a nice gift.  I think Muriel’s Yardley shaving cream is also such a nice gift.  I want also to thank you for the money other nice and useful gift which you have sent me this season and they have all made me very happy. I only wish there was more I could do for you.  I certainly hope you are all going to have a nice day tomorrow and the many that follow it.  You all deserve them.
We have again been transferred and are now going to a larger hospital for a while.  I do not as yet know how that will work out but expect a good experience.
This is about all for now as the news is very scarce here and not too much we can write about.
I close sincerely hoping you are all in good health and that you are having a Joyous Christmas.

I send you all my Love,

Stanley


No comments:

Post a Comment