Saturday, February 18, 2012

13 August 1944


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York
New York

13 August 1944

Dearest Mother:

A few short lines this evening to let you know that I am still thinking of you more than ever since I have been over here than ever before.  Perhaps the great distance and the difference in time.  We were eating lunch today and it was just 3:30am where you are.  Almost a different world in a way.
We had a couple very good movies here today and I enjoyed them very much.  One, a Surgical Film and the other, an organization type.  We have to go to a lot of trouble here since the current is different.
They announced the team assignment today and I am scheduled to work with Col Mac Intyre whom you have heard me mention.  It should be an excellent setup.  Perhaps will do some office work on the side.
We have a coal fire in the grate this evening and it make it quite comfortable here.
A few of the leaves are beginning to drop now and the trees will soon be quite beautiful.  To(o) bad we do not have poinsettias here.  I will miss them.  We even had them in Texas.  The Horse Chestnuts will soon be ripe and also the Beech nuts.  The ground around here is just covered with leaf mold of many years accumulation, which id course make it ideal for the ferns, Rhododendrons which abound around here,
I have received no mail for two days now.  Our mail comes in great abundance at times and then none at all.  I have as yet gotten any with the new APO.  You see we have had 2 previous to the one we now have.
When you see some film file for my camera, send it on to me as I can well use it.
We have been given Ration Cards here which allows us so much of several items.  In all we have ample and what we lack w can trade someone else for, so we are quite contended along that line.  One thing could improve and that is cleaning, but I guess that I should know better.
One of the adjoining units here have set up a landscaper system over which they play music part of the day.  Part of it classical and the other popular.  It is a very nice arrangement and we here enjoy it quite a good deal.  It is the first time that I have had to really hear good music for some time.  I certainly miss my own.  Have you gotten any new additions lately?
I understand Thelma Edwards returned.  Tell me more about it.
Well my hand and eyes are both tired so I will close for now, and am hoping that you are all well and will remain so.

Answer your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment