Wednesday, February 22, 2012

10 January 1945 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
10 January 1945

Dearest Mother:

After a few days of running around all over the country and seeing all of the shows within a radius of several miles I will sit down and write you a few lines.
Sgt Ryan returned from the provinces, as we call them, with a mental breakdown and very much in need of a rest so we decided to see a lot of the sights.
First of all I want to tell you of a very nice picture we saw in our travels entitled “Rhapsody in Blue”[1], the life of George Gershwin.  They held the world premiere here and it was attended by full houses at all showings and the audience really enjoyed the picture.  A general attended the night I went. We have seen quite a few other shows and find that most of them are about the same old type.
A couple days ago I received a full handful of mail, the first in some time and will now have to answer all of them.  Received also a box from the Matsons and Miss Mosher, each including film.  Miss Mosher also sent a book and stationary and a very nice Christmas card.  The Matsons box also included some “Yardley’s English Lavender” soap.
Received a card and note from Cousin Gertrude telling me of her going to Florida again.  One from Joe, Aunt Dell, Muriel and Whitney.
Yes I remember when Ruth Wilde[2] was at our house on their return from Arizona.  Have they sold their sand business?
I found your Christmas card a very beautiful and entirely different one and I really think it very nice.
Yes it will be quite funny to see you in glasses but if you need them that is all there is to it.  Joe has mentioned this doctor several times.
Your day at the races certainly sounded quite interesting.  We shall have to go upon our return home.
Your telling of the delivery boy playing the piano sounds quite interesting.  A person would really be surprised at the number of boys who can play something of that type.  I am going to take something up on my return.
I really appreciate your Birthday message in your letter of December 5 and hope I can live up to it.
I am looking forward to seeing the points of the pictures and you perhaps will like some of them also.  You have prints made of the ones you wish at my expense.
The weather here has been quite cold with snow and ice.  They are skiing nearby and ice skates are being used quite a bit.
You may have some pictures (Studio) of me coming up soon if they turn out well.
Louise Ingles mentioned Bernard entering regular grade school.  News to me.
About all for now and I will write again soon.  Enclosed find a clipping and some more stamps.

All my Love,

Stanley

CODE: LIMBERG (=Limburg)

 


[2] Ruth Wilde was Stanley’s cousin. Their common ancestor was Isabella Griswold who married 3 times.  Ruth is also Clarences sister.  They were born to George Henry Wilde, grandson of Charles H Wilde who was the 2nd husband of Isabella, while Stanley was issued from her first marriage to James Hartwell through their daughter Cora. Isabella later married William Henry Matthews who survived her and with whom she had 2 sons: Ralph and Elmer Matthews.

No comments:

Post a Comment