Wednesday, February 22, 2012

January 23, 1945 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
January 23, 1945
(2 cards enclosed)[1]

My dear Mother:

 Have nothing much to write about this evening but will make a try at a few lines anyway.
Last evening since the play with Catherine Cornell was still playing here I decided to go see it, so started out two and a half hours early so in order to get a seat, but arrived there to find a long line already formed outside and returned home since she is not that good.  I have seen her in the states anyway.  That is the way with all things of that type here.  They are all ruined by the ordeal required in order to see them.
This is the actual pair of  wooden shoes mentioned here
In view of the recent events in Belgium I may tell you that the wooden shoes and lace which I sent were purchased there (Bastogne). This in a way adds something to them.  I have obtained a large pair of wooden shoes for myself and will send them off soon.  I am going to try and get a few more for home.
I was able to get a little sunshine today for a change.  It melted quite a bit of the snow and in a way cleared things up.  We have a small interior court here which would really be nice if fixed up during the summer, now it is covered with snow and the formal design barely visible beneath the snow.
You would enjoy seeing the small children being pulled on little sleds instead of carriages along the frozen sidewalks.  They are usually all bundled up in a small furring and are always pink cheeked from the cold.
Today I helped a little with the inventory and am quite dizzy this evening from seeing figures etc all day so I believe I will attend the show again as that is about all unless I wish to remain here in the noise etc.
Can think of not much else tonight so will close now asking you to take good care of yourself and give my fondest regards to all.

Always
All my Love,
Stanley
(Find two 3¢ stamps)




[1] Were no longer with the letters as neither are any pictures.  The pictures are pulled from his WWII Photo album or loose pictures found within the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment