Wednesday, February 29, 2012

June 16, 1945 - France


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Vicinity Marseilles, France  -  15
June 16, 1945

Dearest Mother :

After a long silence I again will pick up my pen and write you a few lines.
The heading tells you that again I have moved, which is of course no new thing to you by this time as you have seen by the letter headings of the past.
Recently I had the chance of seeing the walled city of Metz and thought it very beautiful from my location at the time.
The climate here is quite like California.  And the landscape in the immediate vicinity is quite a bit like Mojave.  In fact some of the boys here remarked how like Injo it is.
We are again in tents, which I do not mind so much as long as it remains warm.  Of course it is much harder to keep clean, but I am used to that by this time.
Ryan was saying that if this was the Riviera, they could send him home.  Same here.  There would have to be a lot more here than I have seen already to make me live here very long by my own desires.  Of course time will tell more, and my later letters will tell you more of the sights I intend to see while here if the dust clouds do not restrict my view.
While still in Wiedenbruck I saw “Meet me in St Louis”, the Judy Garland picture which has been raved about so much and I thought the whole thing smelled.  What don’t they find to make a picture of these days.  They will have to put her in better pictures than that or she will soon lose all her popularity if it depends on me.  Otherwise no other movies have been available.
By this time how is the house remodeling coming along?
Or have you mad much headway.  You can add on a solarium for my tropical plant collection.
In regards to my morale.  I feel quite well and am in high spirits, which is very good considering how some of the others feel.  I never built myself up for any let down as you know and I am glad you have the idea you have in one of your recent letters.
Well all for now and I hope you are all well happy.

All my Love,

Your Son,
 Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment