Friday, February 17, 2012

June 25, 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

June 25, 1944

Dear Folks:

Another busy week has rolled by and I have accomplished a lot of things in the office as far as getting ready to leave (is) concerned.  They have sent me two large crates or boxes for officer supplies and the library of War Department Manuals etc which we keep here and they run into the hundreds.
Our advance party has been gone two weeks and we have not even heard from them. They more than likely have gone on across and will wire us upon their safe arrival wherever it is and I am still anxious to know.
We are now in the midst of three training programs, officers, nurses, and enlisted men and that is certainly a pain in the neck.
The other evening I took seventeen officers out to Camp Bullis for a night Infiltration Course and it was certainly interesting, especially after dark.  Every fifth bullet was a tracer and they were quite bright especially when they went out and reflected off the embankment in the rear and went skyward.  A couple of the officers were scared silly but they made it out and back much to my relief.
I am sending both my will and power of attorney home.  One copy of the “Power of Attorney” will have to be filed in the county courthouse.  The other you keep and the third one you put in a safe deposit box.  The wills will b in three separate sealed envelopes: No 1 you keep. No 2 will have two copies in it and No 3 will have one copy which you can put away elsewhere for me and No 2 with the two in it put in the safe deposit box.  All will be sealed and will not be opened unless needed.  I am making you my entire “Power of Attorney”
Mrs. Tedesco’s husband has just been made a Captain.  He has certainly waited a long time for that promotion.
I am still hunting for the glass for Aunt Nina but do not seem to have much so far.  I have the “Types of Discharges” all typed out for Bill tho and will send it on very soon. I am trying to wind up all my business here in the way of letters etc and not write any more until we get moved and then I hope I will have more time.
Received a card from Joseph Scheltema the other day and will also have to write him soon.
Well enough for now, since I am about all out of news for this time.

As ever your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment