Thursday, February 23, 2012

March 4, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

5

Germany
March 4, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Received today V-Mail of February 12 and received three days ago your Air Mail of Feb 15 which enclosed your clippings of Gov. Dewey’s speech, which I have not read as yet for lack of time.
Your mention of the many Spring flowers in bloom makes me homesick, but I enjoy hearing of them,  Out here in the deserted garden the other day I found a small clump of Spring snowdrops among some primroses of the English type which have survived the Winter somehow, so you know me, I picked a few crystal glass on our dressing table and in front of the minor they make a pleasing picture and add a bit of color which I miss so much over here
Have just finished reading two very good stories, one entitled “The Larrish Hundred[1] by A R Beverly Giddings and the other entitled “Four Years in Paradise[2] by Osa Johnson.  I have enjoyed reading, for it has been some time since I had read any.  I will read the articles next and let you know what my opinion on them is.
You are perhaps right about the photo.   I did look bad and was tired.  That was shortly after our return to Headquarters.  Enclosed you will find a picture of our street at Dodd Field.  Our office was the second tent on the left.  The other side of Bulletin board.
Received also a V-Mail from Nelson in Hawaiian Islands.  Also a note from Miss Brode.
Very glad to hear of you getting rain after so long a dry spell.
I was never able to get a package off to Muriel, but will try again some day.
I hope Dad is able to get rid of his trouble without an operation.  Quite a life if a person doesn’t weaken.
I will try and have a few more pictures taken soon.  Would you or do you like pictures of the destruction etc.  Usually my camera is not handy when the chances are for a good picture as I hate to carry the box around.  If you get the chance I want you to pick up a case for me and send it on.
Soon I am going to have a box ready of my civilian shoes, short dress sox, Anatomy book, etc.  I am getting tired of carrying these things around and am going to send them home as I have worn them only once in Paris.  They are too nice to throw away.
Well about all for now and I will write again in a few days.
I have forgotten this number again.

All my Love,
Your son,

Stanley
Please excuse the writing as I have been writing on my knees

Dodd Field, Fort Sam Houston, 1944

No comments:

Post a Comment