Thursday, February 16, 2012

12 June 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

12 June 1944

Dearest Mother:

Just a line to let you know that I am still here and have not dried up and blown away yet.
The heat here has been extreme the last couple days and today the weather was very changeable.  It tried to rain a couple of times but never really got anything wet.
Major Skinner and his party of two or three are leaving tomorrow on the advance party for POE. Of course I do not know where it is and it would be a military secret if I did know.
We have been quite rushed here and the officers are about all signed in now and we are in the midst of processing the whole bunch.
The nurses training program begins tomorrow and that is the beginning of more trouble. They have already been a big pain already.  They are not able or do not want to do one thing after the other, and the head nurse is the fault of the whole mess.
Major Grubin is back from his week at home in bed and as yet is not feeling any too spry.
I went into town yesterday and had dinner and saw a show with a friend of mine here.  We had turkey and I had fresh green corn on the cob and it was certainly delicious.  And of course my favourite of course is always iced tea with my meals and believe me it really is nice on these days.
I have been hunting a Parker 51 pen for dad but have been unable to find one so far.  They are quite scarce.
I at last have the saber all wrapped and will mail it tomorrow and will hope that it goes thru alright.
Received a letter from Frances Whelchel yesterday and she tells me also of Esther’s arm not yet getting any better.
I got a lot of new clothes today and I am going to have some work done on some of them since they are quite out of fits in places.
Sgt Ryan is back again and feeling quite well.
Sgt Rapp’s wife had some delicious fried liver with onions which was very good and it was the first liver I have had in a long time that I really cared for.
I delayed sending the letter you mentioned since I wanted to mail it elsewhere for certain reasons.
I look for the European Theater first since the monsoons are just beginning and all the other disagreeable things are starting in Asia.
No I never expected to get that much returned and there was no place on the blank that indicated that I would get any certain amount back.
I heard from Newton Eberhard whom, you once ran kindly home, remember him?
Well enough for now and will write more later.

Love,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment