Sunday, February 19, 2012

28 September 1944


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York
New York

28 September 1944
Brittany

Dearest Mother:

Here it is seven o’clock in the morning and the bells in the steeple near here have just finished ringing their morning song.
I have here before me your letters of Sept 4,7, and 10 which I will not try to answer now as my time is short.  They are the only mail which I have received during the past few weeks, two to be exact.  Since we are away from headquarters mail is much slower.
Censorship regulations have been released enough for me to tell you that I have been to Paris prior to coming here and I really enjoyed being there but have now caught the Paris fever and wish to return.  It is truly a beautiful city and I have never seen any to equal it.  All the way round it is different even tho it is quite modern.  Notre Dame is beautiful beyond words, although I had very little time there.  The Arc de Triomphe is something majestic that I will long remember.  We were the second convoy of American troops to go through, instead of around Paris, and the people were wild over seeing us.  A good many had not seen American soldiers as yet.  They threw apples, tomatoes, pears and all sorts of things at the trucks for our consumption.  And we, of course, were delighted to have fresh fruit so in turn tossed back C and K rations which they can well use and were quite grateful for them.  I had no chance to see anything else or do more than buy the perfume while there so will write more of what I saw in a later latter.  I collected a few more post cards which I will soon get ready and send home as we are now allowed to do so.
Breakfast time is here so I will draw this to a close and will write you more soon.
Funny about Leonard being off wine and liquor again.  Needs Diane’s showing as always.  I would think she would get tired of it in time.

As ever,
Your son

Love,

Stanley

Note from the transcriber:  LBOWALAND ???? – not sure it’s working again… or maybe I’m looking in the wrong place…

No comments:

Post a Comment