Monday, February 20, 2012

1 November 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
1 November 1944

Dearest Mother:

I have been sitting here by the fire for sometime this morning debating on whether or not to write now as we may be busy later in the day.
We have had quite a rush since my last letter and have also changed shifts from night to day which I like better as things seem more normal for me.
Received a small parcel of mail the first part of last week, and it contained six of your letters from Sept 14 – October 17.  One of them contained Dewey’s speech and I really liked that.  For my money he is by far my choice.  It is hard for me to understand what has happened to a lot of my letters although I suppose with all of the moving around that we have done we may be lucky to have had service as we have had with our mail.  I am quite surprised and rather worried about the silver not reaching you by that last letter.  The package situation, I suppose, is just awful at the same time a letter from Joseph and Mrs. Tedesco and another V-Mail from Miss Mosher.
As for the mention of our whereabouts in my letters.  Our position of course would give out a lot of information as to losses etc of the supported units. Censorship of Service Forces has always been more strict than with combat units.  You hear over the radio where they are but not if losses are heavy etc.  factors which are vital to the enemy.
I received the statements also and was quite glad since I now know where I stand. Since the bond affair is always coming up and they seem to have the opinion that they would just as soon have everyone buy their own bonds, I have decided to drop mine and then make an additional $25.00 allotment to you and you can buy one $25 bond a month for me and use the balance in clearance of my debt to you.  Perhaps that will be a much better system all the way around for all concerned.  You can buy them the same as they have been coming.
I believe that I have received all of the snaps which you mention such as the ones of Aunt Edith etc.
Sent another package to you yesterday and it contained post cards, 3 German printed French francs, some Scotch heather and 2 pairs of swimming trunks which I have decided to finally send home after bringing them this far.  The packages I have sent so far have been : 1. Silver; 2. Versailles portfolio; 3. Paris flower book; 4. Wooden shoes for Jon which contained lace for you and then the one last night.  Did you get the lace collar? And are you going to be able to use it if you did?
I am enclosing in this letter some money (bills) which I have picked up while in my travels over here.  You perhaps will be interested in some of it.  A lot of it is Invasion money and others are pre war money.  I really have no place to carry much money for collection purposes and it is better off at home.  Also you will find enclosed the silver certificates, giving dates and periods.  You can keep them with the silver.  You take notice of the dates.  They are really ancient.
Our headquarters ha(ve) moved a little nearer to us now so we should not have much trouble in getting our mail hereafter as we have had in the past.
I never dreamed that a canal could be as large as the Albert Canal is and the destruction of the bridges etc along it are masterpieces of tearing things down.  Liege is a town much larger than I ever imagined it to be.  The part which surprises me is that things are modern in so many of them.  Modernistic buildings are nothing new here at all.  All of the cities of any size have both residential and business districts all modern.
The “Sect. 8” which you mention is merely a part of or a type of discharge.  There are eleven sections and the VIII is just one of them.  The CDD is “Certificate of Disablement Discharge” in other words a physical discharge on Mental disablement.  A person can just act funny and get one of those.
Your mention of fall weather makes me homesick as I used to always like the fall and the thought of a beautiful Spring to follow.  Over here we have mud and chilly nights.  The trees are all bare except for a few leaves here and there on them.  They make a beautiful tracing against the autumn skies that we have here.  The country here is just like the painting of the Dutch masters who have painted them and captures their beauty long ago.
I am very fond of your idea of the bookshelves for my books. I often thought of getting one for myself before coming into the army but never got around to it.  I have always wanted to have a large kidney desk in mahogany as a sort of business desk.  That of course will have to wait until another day.  You can charge the bookcase to me.
Do not become worried as my mail will eventually all show up.  I try never to let too long a period of time elapse between them, but I will do better in the future.
What are the full details of Ethel Zimmers exit from their home?
Well all for now mother and more later. Hope this finds you all well.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment