Thursday, February 16, 2012

May 24, 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

May 24, 1944

Dearest Mother:

I am writing a little prematurely this week but I believe I may have something of importance to tell you.
After such a long time our unit looks as tho it were finally going to become very much alive and on the move soon.
We received orders of preparedness three days ago and expect the readiness date at any time.  We are to be prepared to send an advance detail to POE on the 10 June which of course means us here not too long after.  Our full complement of nurses have been assigned to us and are now on their way also officers to fill t/o I know a lot more about dates etc but will not mention them now.
General Donovan called our bivouac off and told us it was unadvisable for us to have one at this time.
We have been given a foot locker (for) our records and I have instructions for the burning of others when the final word comes.
I am going to send home quite a few things and reduce my belongings to the minimum as I will have very likely some office things to take care of so will not have room for too much. And I would rather have you send me something later.
I am merely going to get ready and if this is real I will be prepared and will not have anything too much to worry about at the last moment.  There will be a lot of them with everything to do in a very short time.
What I have told you of course very inside information, and will not be repeated until we are actually on our way.
In regards to the code.  I may refer to a rather unanswered question in the third paragraph of a letter, or make a statement on some subject which you may be interested in.
Well you can find the answer in the designated paragraph. If you have any additions let me know.
Our own Colonel will not know where we are going until we get on the boat.  Get yourself a good map and from time to time you will have a chance to look things up.
Well this is about all for now so look forward to my next.  Excuse the writing as I am in a hurry and on office time, so will have to get on to other things.
Will also write more plainly the next time.

As ever,
Love,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment