Thursday, February 16, 2012

June 22, 1944


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Fort Sam Houston
Texas

June 22, 1944

Dear Mother:

If I do not get a letter written now I will not get one finished before Sunday.
Tomorrow I am taking a group of the new officers out to the firing range and see that they get all through the infiltration course.  I will enjoy the chance to get away from here for awhile.  The fresh air and the ride will do me good.
We have not yet heard from our advance party and we are all wondering just what has happened to them. It would not surprise me to hear that they are already on their way over the seas. We will more than likely hear from them when they get to their fruit destination.
All of our officers are now here and are they a big mess.  There are a lot of First Lieutenants who have been in the Army only a very short time and are as green as green can be.  Most of them are lost.
I finally got the chance to change personnel here in the office today so did so and feel as tho I would get along much faster and better under the new set up.
Have just about gotten all of the important things together, now, that I am going to plan on taking along.  And now I wonder just how and if I am going to have plenty of room. We sure do not have much.  Some of the officers here certainly have an abundance of room and are certainly taking everything under the sun along.  The nurses are even taking more along and I hope a few of them have to carry some of it.  But I know that the enlisted men will take a good portion of it.
I am finally just getting all of my clothes and am having a few of them altered to fit a little better.
They are trying to get a T/3 for Sgt Ryan and if more they tell me that I will get one. Ha Ha!
Have you heard from Joseph Scheltema lately?
I really like Muriel’s picture. What could I give her for a graduation present? Or what would she like?
Well enough for now and some more later when I have more time.

As always,
Love,
Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment