Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 16, 1944 - Holland


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Holland
February 16, 1945

Dearest Mother:

I have nothing much to write about today but will write a few lines anyway to let you know I still am able to write.
The weather here today has been beautiful and Spring seems just around the corner.  The trees here all look as tho they would soon be in bud, but they tell me it is too early for Spring.
I suppose my little apricot tree is thinking of starting to bloom.
We are getting on quite well with our family and find them quite interesting and agreeable.  I am learning quite a bit about the Dutch people and their customs.  The little boy, that is the smallest one, who is seventeen, got me a set of very beautiful stamps the other day.  They are some which were printed while the Germans were here.  I will send them along with another money order.
W have worked part of the last two night and I like being back to work again.  One thing I really would like to have done tho would be to have gone to Brussels as we had planned.  I never even went to Liege again even as close as it was.
I am now just about caught up with all my writing and am now waiting for some more to answer.  Our mail has been very scarce here recently.  I have heard from Mrs. Tedesco and Miss Mosher in last few days.  Miss Mosher sent her letter in two V-Mail forms typewritten.  So it makes a very nice letter.  I still owe one to Joseph and will have to get one started to him.  I always like to write a nice long letter to him as his are always so generous.
The father here just showed me a new pair of shoes he bought and they have wood sole on them and he tells me they are nix good (no good). Altho they do have a rubber heel of some kind.  The little girl here is quite a housekeeper.  She does all the mending, cooking etc. since there is no mother in the family.  She is only thirteen years old.  They have a hired girl although.  The mother was killed as a result of a bombing last September.  All four children speak very good English.
I want you to send me another tablet of this type with some more envelopes, plain and air mail, also some more of the chocolate and also a can of shrimps it they are not to(o) many points.
Well about time to bring this letter to a close and I remain as always.

All my Love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment