Monday, February 27, 2012

May 6, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Germany - 9
May 6, 1945

Dearest Mother:
Again on a wet afternoon I am going to write you a few lines and answer a few of your questions asked in letter No 14 of April 20.
We are still here and still have (been) hanging over our heads the prospect of returning to headquarters at any time, which is any time will be too soon for me in my present mood, regarding them.
In regards to the word we being used in letters such as Nelson’s.  Things will pass the censor quite often if the word I is used which would not be indicative of a unit movement.
It seems that the news of today noon’s was that the war is over, but one way or the other we do not or are not excited over it as in my present position I wonder why it has not been sooner.  Beyond me is the explanation of “things are on schedule”.   I cannot understand why armies wait at rivers etc.
As yet I have seen no Russian army members, have seen quite a few refugees tho.  We have even a few Indian ghurka troopers here in hospital and they are certainly characters.  They no longer have their turbans which were taken away from them because of them being (lousy).  They therefore wear bath towels.
I went to church this morning in the Prostestant Church here in town and the sermon was given by our chaplain here.  The church is the first protestant one I have seen here in Europe.  Very beautiful interior as well as quite old.  But even tho, it showed signs of the German race and their top heavy architecture.
I have met a boy here at the hospital who comes from Momence.  He knows Aunt Dell and family also Cousin Gertrude and sons in lumber business.  His name is Raymond Montgomery.  He says you may know a family by the name of Kelsen as it is his mother’s family.  Strange how small a world this is.  He states that the HESS family id the first family of Momence.  He used to mow lawns for Gertrude.
I must have been in a hurry to get somewhere or something else may have come up to distract me so as not to sign my letter you mention.  I usually am not that rattle brained.
In regards to my change of teams I can not tell you now but will do so later when the chance comes.  It is a long story.  I have requested them and thankfully have known the Col. Well enough to do so.
Enclosed you will find one of the afore mentioned pictures which I hope you will like.  I will inscribe one of the better ones and send it on later in a large card boarded envelope for you.  All my love,

Your Son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment