Thursday, February 23, 2012

March 21, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

1
Germany
March 21, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Well write a few lines this evening to let you know that I received yesterday your well received letters of February 26 and of March 2.  And as you mentioned the former is the largest letter ever received from you.  I will not endeavor to answer your questions now other than the flower ones.
The Wastonias I do want you to take some of as long as they reproduce so rapidly Or think all of you wish.  The Fuchsias can all be left behind.  The Ivy you can take slips of but take none from the ground.  The cacti of course would all be nice to take along and repot at some future time.  I did not mention the Rhubarb since you I imagined would take such things.
Also in the mail yesterday I received a letter from Aunt Dell and a roll of film from Thelma which I will have to answer for soon.
Enclosed you will find two sheets of Dutch stamps which the boy at the house in Holland gave me while there.  These are all German printed and as I understand these are the entire set of those printed.  I think these are quite nice.
The other day while still at my last station.  I had the chance to go to one of the large mansion nearby and you can well imagine my delight at going over.  In the barn there were some very beautiful carriages, one in particular was black and all shined with red velvet cushions and interior and the thing really had good springs for a change.  The green box was full of rare plants and the house had a beautiful solarium full of plants such as azaleas, camillias, ferns, cyclamen etc.  The lace curtains at the windows were really beautiful as well as everything else in the house.
I have started once again to use the numbering system on my letters and will continue since I have a system now for keeping track of it.  This one will be No 1 again.
Well all for now and more again.

All my Love

Stanley
26 stamps enclosed

Dulken, Germany - March 1945 - 105th EVAC



No comments:

Post a Comment