Friday, February 17, 2012

12 July 44


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
Air Mail
12 July 44                            
Dear Mother:
Heard from Maj. Skinner in England today.
W will go to Camp Kilmer NJ and will embark from there.
Sorry to have you do all of this cleaning etc.
I may ask for the sheet at a later date.
There is also some gem in here.
Put the letters away for me.

All my love,

Stanley

 
July 14, 1944
Dearest Mother:
Excuse the paper and the pencil, but this is all I have left, and I do not want to use all of my ink, as all of my papers and ink are both packed.
We had all of the crates taken away today and there is none remaining and the office is all clear except for empty tables and desks.
We will perhaps be on our way very soon and we are all very glad here in the offices as the longer it drags on the harder it will become for us.
You will soon receive my foot locker with a few things in it.  You will also find a note in the shirt pocket as to the material therein.  Dad may be able to wear the shirts and the trousers which I sent home today in another box.  The jacket should also be very nice for him if he wants to.  He can take the stripes off and shoulder insignia and find it quite warm.
I also sent Mr. & Mrs. Matson a couple small clay pigs since she said that Jon broke the last one.  He should enjoy these for they are quite nice but no more expensive than the last ones.  These are although more attractive.
You perhaps will not hear from me again until after we get to our destination and the first one will be Air Mail Special Delivery.
The entire company is under restrictions tonight and are really raising a rumpus, all or most of them drink and really raising a loud rumpus.  They have already closed the PX on their account and will not let them in again. So they are outside raising a rumpus that will bring the guards here in a hurry.
Well enough for now and more at a later time when I have a little more time.  Do not worry and you all take care of yourselves.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment