Thursday, February 23, 2012

March 2, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
March 2, 1945

Dearest Mother:

Have here your letter of February 9, the last I have from you, and am looking forward to the next ones.
The day outside is indeed a funny one.  The weather seems to be the type that just can’t make up its mind whether Spring is here or whether it wants to return to Winter.  Every time I go outside here I get a feeling of tragedy or something as thee are buildings all around here full of holes and things are so desolate and forlorn.   I saw the first bird in some time outside a few minutes ago.  The trees are coming out in buds, that is the ones still standing and the bulbs are coming up thru the rubbish piles.  The garden in the rear of the house is again coming to life.  The rhubarb and strawberries are coming to life again along with all the other things.  The street out in front is knee deep with mud and everywhere else there is vehicles we have mud.  Quite a place we are in or can you imagine it? It does seem strange tho that matters is still showing thru even after all the destruction caused by man.
Near us here is a church which has been quite nice when new.  Built quite recently of quite modern design.  It is deserted now but still beautiful in a way.  Some of the windows are still hanging in sections by the lead work.  No, I never caught a car in the subway terminal.  It is quite a place tho.
Yes, I had thought of being home a year ago when the date rolled by and I wish I were home again, but I suppose it will be some time before I get home again, as the things look to me now.
The Knotts Berry Farm story is quite interesting and is quite unusual.  Rather interested to know why it was started.
We are living of the Germans here and find them quite comfortable, considering the time and place.  They of course had to leave everything behind so a lot of furniture is being used by us.  Some of it is quite nice and other is just a lot of junk.  And a lot of course was ruined.
Enclosed you will find some more pictures which you may seeing.  You can put them away for me or keep them yourself.  I will send the negatives later. 
Will close for this time.  Hoping this first you well , I remain with

All my Love

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment