Thursday, February 23, 2012

March 16, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
March 16, 1945

Dearest Mother:
 
I seem to be so easily changed in my ideas of writing within such a short time, which perhaps is due to the lack of thing to write.
I am still here doing nothing more than spend my time on various pastimes such as seeing some of our town here and also working on some leather work here which is all the rage with us as we have quite a bit of leather to work with.  So far I have made a case for my camera, strap and all.  So you ca now forget the looking for one for me.
Received a letter from Esther a couple days ago which she had enclosed a picture of herself.  She is looking quite well.
I spent last night in headquarters which is not far from here and the vehicle is or was returning again this morning.  Kupfer started off for Paris today on pass. He is going to bring back some post cards for me.
We have had the good fortune of seeing a couple good pictures recently.  The(y) have had so many that have not been worthy of mention, much mess of being brought overseas.  The two I refer to are “My Reputation” with Barbara Stanwyck, which I think is really worthy of mention.  The other one is “Mr. Skeffington” with Bette Davis.  The picture lasted some time but did not drag or have a lot of dialogue which was unnecessary.  It is certainly not too hard to see where or why she receives $241,000 per year.  They certainly give the advertising about the good pictures they send over here but I have very few of real good ones.  The same goes for a lot of other things.
Sgt Ryan returned here the other day and as usual we were quite glad to hear each other’s stories and see each other again.
Enclosed you will find two more German bills which (you) may be interested in.
Well I close hoping this finds you all happy and well again soon you will hear from me.

All my love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment