Saturday, February 18, 2012

7 August 1944


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York
New York

(Excuse this awful stationary – better later)
7 August 1944

Dear Mother:

Received your letter of the 27, the day before yesterday and yours of the 24 yesterday. Why the great difference in dates and the date of arrival, I do not know.
I have as yet not accomplished too much in the way of writing, but am a little more settled in a mental way now, so will start in very soon.
In answer to your question of writing on both sides of the paper? As far as I know, you may do as long as it is not being censored.  That rule only applies to we here. I did although forget and write on both sides of my last.
When I left Fort Sam I put into my portfolio envelopes which I had already put stamps on so that I would not be wondering where the stamps were etc when I had the chance to write.
While on the subject of mail, you are putting too much postage on your Air Mail. You need only put 6¢ Air Mail on your letters to an APO and the same applies here.
Your mention of the time and hours of darkness reminds me that it does not get dark in the evening here until around eleven o’clock, but of course the winter will be just the other way around. 
Yes I am looking forward to being able to vote in the November elec. And I want you to express your views or ideas to me about the lesser things on the ballot, in one of your future letters.
You perhaps have gotten the new APO by now.  If not it is APO 339 in care of the same Post Master.
You may be right in selling the business at this time. But what will he do if he does, that is unless he intends to retire for good.  He has worked long and hard enough for so many years, so a good rest would do him a lot of good.  If not this, it may be immense doctor bills at a later date.
The other evening we went to a little town nearby and obtained some very beautiful postcards which the shop keeper, after hunting around a good deal, found.  There are some very attractive and colorful flower prints which would be nice framed.   I will send them on at a lat(t)er time under separate cover,
While there we had some very good “fish & chips” which are quite the thing around here it see(a)ms.  I have had the chance to also have tea, bread, butter and jam which was also very good.  As a rule there is really very little we may buy as everything practically is rationed and b(u)y rights should be saved for the civilians who, from what I have seen need it more than we do.
I have taken several nice walks out into the country and find the entire amount of which I have seen to be extremely beautiful. They tell me that this is the peak of their summer, which all makes me wonder hat their Spring is like.
The Rho(do)dendrons here are all setting seed and they look rather seedy, but some of the cottages here are very beautiful with their beds of dwarf dahlias, snapdragons and larkspur.  And the hedges here are all much nicer than any we have.
I am certainly getting a lot of new and wonderful ideas which will do me some good after this affair,
Even some ideas for my own garden.  Here we find examples of some of the finest landscaping in the world.  It is of course all rundown but there is still a plan which is the same regardless of condition at present.
Has Mrs. Hall acquired any more pets as yet to bother you? We certainly have quite a time with our neighbors!
Well most of my time has been spent in waiting for crates so will close now to do some more waiting.
I heard from Marvin Arnold, noted on return address that they have moved.
Did you (k)now of it?  He did not mention it in letter tho.
Well all for now, so will close until another time.

As ever your son,

Stanley

NOTE from Transcriber: Can't figure out the code any more... )=  Could they have discussed this and changed it?  No idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment