Sunday, February 19, 2012

October 8, 1944 - Belgium


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York
New York

October 8, 1944
Belgium

Dearest Mother:

I will start again on a letter and hope to finish it this evening.
We are still here having a short rest and perhaps will start to work here soon.  Of course I am not complaining and am having a very nice time catching up on all of my mail and writing a little sooner in answer to some than usual.  Just finished a nice long letter to Joe and answered one to Sgt Rapp whom you have heard me speak of at Fort Sam Houston.
Our mail has been delayed a great deal because of our moving.  For that reason I have received very little mail here lately.
I am having a very good time here learning French and seeing the countryside which is perhaps some of the most beautiful since England.  It is entirely different from any previous.  The countryside is dotted with small groves of trees which are planted at periodic times and are cut down in time and used planted on another piece of land and the place where they had been is plowed up and used for pasture. After pasture they use the land for crops.  All the families here seem to all pitch in and help with the harvesting.  Most or a lot of the men here are gone since the Germans have had some of them prisoners for a period four years or so.  I was speaking to one of them and she told me her husband has been gone for four and a half years.
This one lady is trying her best to learn English.  They all want to go to the states some time.  They all like American cigarettes and will always trade apples, pears and French plums or prunes for them.  A lot of them just automatically give us these items.
I am trying to get a small pair of wooden shoes for my collection.  I wonder if Clive (or Olive) and Elizabeth Chapin would like a pair.  I saw a whole wagon load of them the other day.  Some of them have some carving on the toes, especially the children’s shoes.  They will stuff straw also for warmth.  They would very soon tire my feet if I had to wear them.
I found enclosed in both of your letters the “Air Mail” stamps.  And I do want to pay you for them.  Charge them to me and deduct the amount from my monthly allowance.  You can also send me a statement of my bank account as it stands now. Also send me the prices (average) of American T&T stock for the last few months.  I have not seen the stock quotations for about two months.  Do you think it wise to buy at present time?
Back to the stamps again.  Send me about five once a week.  I will manage the other from here.  We are able to get the ready stamped envelopes here sometimes.
Have you found out as yet what the operation Thelma Chapin had as yet?  Give her my regards and I will write her soon.  She owes me a letter since I was the last to write her.  I have gotten away from writing too many people unless they write me.  There are a few of course who deserve better attention.
I can not think of much more to say this evening other than to tell you all to take care of yourselves and I will write you when I can.

All my love,

Stanley.

No comments:

Post a Comment