Sunday, February 26, 2012

April 28, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
 
Germany
April 28, 1945

Once again I will start a letter to you and hope to finish today, as my mood nor temper is any too good today.
Received your very welcomed letter of April 10, Nov 12 and, as always, enjoyed it.  Found also the enclosed clippings and stamps. Some of the articles are very good as well as witty.
Glad to hear of your receiving the Russian and Polish currency.  Also glad to hear of you receiving the M.O.
I can imagine how the card from Arthur.  I as yet have seen no liberated American prisoners up here.  Have seen practically all other types of liberated people tho.
Was very surprised to hear of you buying the place there, in fact rather disappointed for some reason.  Never liked the place or the neighborhood, but again it is your home.  I do want you to use my money tho for any use you see fit.  I think you are very likely wise in doing such at this time in view of the other conditions.  My idea on the place is that what will it be when thru with it, garage and all.  A wire fence would be the thing but not for that place.
I recognized the names of the fellows mentioned in the clipping.
They really moved Nelson over in a hurry.  I should hear from him soon as a couple of my forwarded letters should reach him soon if not already.  But the mail routes are long between us.
You can use my money for the purchase of a new cost for Mother’s Day.  I referred to the subject previously.
You can also send me a couple pocket combs and a bottle of good hair oil in your next package.  My stationary may also be exhausted again by that time.  I have been doing a lot of writing the last couple days.
Enclosed you will find 5 postcards which I asked Kupfer to bring back for me from his recent Paris pass.  He also brought back more for e and I will enclose them in future letters until they are absorbed here.  Also you will find some pictures, the negatives will also be sent home in the future with instructions if any.
The weather here is still cloudy and wet and I hope it soon clears up as I am tired of dampness.  My sinuses do not act favorably to dampness.
I am going to try and get a shower this afternoon at the showers which they have here in town for our use.
Well I can think of no more for now so will close hoping this finds you all well and remaining so.

As always, Love
Stanley
4 pictures
5 negatives, one of which you can have one made of me and bicycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment