Thursday, February 23, 2012

1 April 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
1 April 1945

Dearest Mother:

Have here your V-Mail (4) of March 13 and your letter No2. So far am missing your No3.  Will start out anew on my new series.
I finally got the box mailed off to you a couple days ago.  It included my civilian shoes and short sox and my anatomy book.  Also included were my Bavarian porcelain and the excess pictures I have been gathering along the way.
We have really been on the move recently.  I spent a couple days with Col. Mac Intyre’s hospital a few days ago and have been on the move ever since from one place to the other.  At present am in a cow pasture again.  I spent a little time in a former German slave labor camp and had the chance to observe and see quite a few things while there but there was too much filth there for  very long stay,  There were quite a few Russian, Polish, Italian and French people there.  The Russians interested me very much and very surprisingly they impressed me.  They were all quite happy and in the evenings would dance and sing their beautiful music and songs.  They always impressed me anyway.
At the Evacuation Hospital they had a very beautiful garden just full of interesting and beautiful things.  I took some pictures I hope turn out well.  They had espalier fruit trees in long harbors and beds full of bulbs which included daffodils, hyacinths and grape hyacinths.  A lot of fruit trees were in bloom and other trees coming into leaf.  Also was a nice collection of statuary of a religious nature.
I am looking forward to receiving some more mail today as I have received very little with all my moving around.
Enclosed you will find a money order for fifty dollars ($50) which you can deposit use or invest in more stock or something with whatever appears best to you.
Also you will find some more souvenir money for my collection. Some Russian and Polish which is something new and different.
I had a roll of film in my camera the other day which may have been some of the French film for it didn’t have numbers on the right side and just when I wanted to use it I was unable to, much to my disgust and I missed some good pictures.
I heard from Albert Chandler regarding Onas severe spell.  Very sorry for her.
 
Well about all for now as my time is short and I am rather tired.

All my Love,
Your son,
Stanley

1 Italian stamp
1-50 Zlotych Polish note
4 Russian rubles
1-3, 1-1,1-5,1-1 yepbehin (?) (10 rubles)

Note from the transcriber:
CODE : ACROSS

No comments:

Post a Comment