Thursday, February 23, 2012

February 28, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York
4
Germany
February 28, 1945

Dearest Mother:

After quite a while of no writing and during which time I have forgotten the number of the letter, this one is either 3 or 4.
As you see by the heading I have again changed locations.  This time I have come alone and am now on a new team.  The new team chief for me is the same Major Talmadge I worked for at Dodd Field some time ago.  Upon joining the new team I found Sgt Ryan here and a couple others I know quite well but they have gone on ahead today and again I am more or less alone.
As you see by the newspapers, things have been happening fast over here so I can tell you nothing more at this time.
Very sorry to hear of Mrs. Miner having another sickness and as you say she certainly has trouble.
I am very much interested in the new records you speak of and they certainly must be quite nice.
You ask about myself drinking coffee.  I only drink it once in a while and usually more often when they have nothing else to drink.  The Army coffee is usually very poor and I can never drink too much of that.
Our Headquarters has again moved and are located in a very nice place again.  They really have the luck.
I tried to get a hold of some very beautiful Delft wall plates a while back but was unable to do so as my time was limited and I needed it for sleep as I need it now, have been busy for 24 hours now and am going to bed very shortly as my eyes are going to fail to stay open very soon.
Enclosed you will find some pictures which Kupfer and myself took some time back.  They are in a way better.  Therefore at least something different.
Well this will be all for now and more will follow in another letter soon.
Take care of yourself and do not worry.

All my Love
Your son

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment