Thursday, February 23, 2012

March 8, 1945 - Germany


Sgt. Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
APO 339
c/o Post Master
New York  New York

Germany
March 8, 1945

Dearest Mother:

A few lines this evening before going to bed.
Have had no mail from home for a few days but expect some soon as we are again settled.
I crossed the Roer the other day and was very much surprised as it was not what I expected at all.  The river was rather narrow but very swift.  Of course the land along the river was all inundated from the recent floods etc.  Well anyway we are one barrier further to our goal.
The news has come over the radio just now that the American First Army has crosses the Rhine.  Good news we all think.  The American soldiers (frontline) here all have blood in their eyes now so look out.
I am not doing any work just now so will have the chance to catch up on all my correspondence.
Have been over this evening to see a picture entitled Music over Broadway.  I have seen a lot of better ones bit it provides some amusement for a few minutes.  Had I mentioned previously that I had received a letter from Aunt Maibelle.  She tells of buying herself a little place and described her garden to me. Sounds like a very nice place.  She tells me that she misses Ed and Grandma a little now and then.
I suppose you are still getting more than your share of rain, that is if I know California rains.  But I am sure that the rain will do everything there some good.
Well I can think of nothing more for now and I am finishing by flashlight as the power has gone off.

Love,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment