Friday, February 17, 2012

21 July 1944


Sgt S W Safford 39539976
5th Aux. Surg. Group
APO 5541
To Postmaster
New York
NY

21 July 1944

Dear Mother:

After a long silence I will again write you a few lines to let you know that I am still in one piece and have enjoyed myself to a great extent here lately.
Our train trip was very nice and I really had a chance to relax and see the scenery which I have always wanted to see and some day hope to see more of our country.
Excuse this pencil and the awful writing, but I am lying here on the bed preparatory to going to bed and am writing on an envelope which is filled with office papers, and I hope to soon have a more suitable place for writing.
The weather was ideal all the way here except for a little rain or showers a couple of times and the vegetation was all of it extremely beautiful.
In the future do not mention the name of our unit anywhere in the letter which you write, since we are having to destroy all of the envelopes which we receive.
Will you gather a few bars of soap together for me so that if I ask for a half a dozen bars you may send them on to me, and I may ask for other things also, all according to what the future brings.
Say, I forgot to ask you if you had heard anything further from the lawyers regarding the family tree question?
I was you to call Joe for me and tell him that I have not forgotten him and will write him soon after I get a breathing spell.
Received a letter a couple days ago from Taylor Orms(?) mailed on return of his wife, from her mother’s, I guess they are still not getting along any too well from his letter.
Well goodbye for now and I will write soon again.

As ever,
Your son,

Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment