Wednesday, February 1, 2012

October 20, 1943


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

October 20, 1943

My dear Mother:

Well after so many days of laxness in writing I decided that this evening I would finally get down to business and get a letter off to you. I have just finished rereading the clipping “A Package of Seed” which you sent me a couple of letters back and I think that it is really a very pretty little piece and a little different.  Mrs. Tedesco thought that the piece about the registered fathers was a real good one and she copied it and sent it to her husband.  Have I mentioned before that I met her husband one evening a short time ago?  I really liked him a lot, more than I imagined I would.
Last Sunday I became rather tired of staying around here so did not get a letter written to you.  I got ready and went to town for dinner and show “Heaven Can Wait” which I thought very good although I usually don’t care for Don Ameche.  But it was a different kind of picture.
The dinner I had was also very delicious and I enjoyed it for a change from our every day thing here which seems to be getting worse as the time goes on.  Last evening Mrs. Tedesco had invited me to a chamber music concert so we went to that, before which we had dinner at the St Anthony.  I had chicken which was exceptionally good with wild rice and candied yam.  We also had iced tea which was very good since it was quite warm.  And speaking of warmth we really put on our woolens too soon since the weather has certainly warmed up but it is more than likely just for a short time since everything shows signs of winter.
My watch certainly has come in handy and I am always looking at the time I really have quite a bit of use for it.  If I see a cheaper one I will get it and send this one home because it is much too nice for the army.
The last few days I have been fooling around with a mess of stamping all my clothing and then going over it with indelible ink.  What a mess and we are all tired of it.  And the Lieutenant should have his head examined for such an idea.
Major Skinner is due back tomorrow and I will be glad to see him as usual.  But there are a few others here that are not as glad as I.
I had hoped that Dad would get a deer while away on his trip after going to so much trouble.  But he very likely had a nice trip and a good rest.
It is too bad that Mr. Finley could not or shall I say can not get better since he has quit work and really made an effort to get well.
I can hardly imagine myself with a wife of Helen’s caliber because I have no use for one of that type.
Yes I can well imagine the mess that the windows were at the garage and I am glad that I was clear of that job.
I am sure glad to know that Aunt Nina has stood her operation so well and she will soon be able to be up and around, but as you say it will take her some time to recover her strength as she was bound to have lost a lot of blood being in the operating room for so long a time.  A person is bound to take a long time to recover after an operation of that type.  And I also can well imagine Jay calling on her at the hospital.
The candy which was in the box with the watch was certainly good.  I really liked the almonds and what is more is that we have been able to get the Hershey almond bars quite easily here recently.
Yes, the poinsettias of yours will more than likely be much nicer than the Miners and they are not expected to grow as rampant as the single varieties do.
Recently the different kinds of stamps have been coming out and I have collected quite a few of them which I will send home one of these days, and you can put them away for me.
We have been expecting Major General Kirk (Surgeon General) here on an inspection tour but he didn’t show up.
Personally I think he is not interested in this outfit any more than this desk is but the Col. Thought that he was sure to come here to see him.  But he went right on by and never even stopped.  He does not even know we exist here.  We have also had three high British generals here the last few days, but they didn’t stay long.  I rode in the same elevator with Gen Beach today and his bright silver stars of silver.
My writing has certainly took (taken) a tumble tonight.  It is hardly legible.  But I will improve the next one.
It is now bedtime, so good night for now.

Love as always,

Stanley
Those pictures in the box were very good, one of them hardly looks like me tho (the one of myself in the chair)

No comments:

Post a Comment