Tuesday, January 31, 2012

October 14, 1943


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

October 14, 1943

How did the deer hunting come out?

My dear Mother:

I am finally getting down to this letter which I have planned on writing all day and part of yesterday.  But last evening I became stalled at the Service Club and did not get home until too late to write a letter.
I received the box with the wrist watch and the other things (the) day before yesterday and I am quite pleased to again have the watch and to know the time when I want it.  I also want to thank you for the delicious candy and the roll of film and I will soon have some pictures of myself for you which were taken on the balance of the roll in my camera.
The night before last it really rained here but yesterday morning I certainly noticed the cold when I got up and this morning I noticed it much more.  When the time comes for the wool I will be quiet glad to get into them.  I am growing quite tired of these khaki anyway since they are so hard to keep looking like anything and they are always at the cleaners.  The wool will also cut down the bills.
I really liked the pictures a lot, especially the ones that were taken at Aunt Maibelles’ and Ed’s.  Those on my camera are not as very bad either.  You can go ahead and send for a set of them for me.  I am planning on getting a letter off to him either tomorrow or the next day.  I received such a nice one from him.  And what surprises me is that I wrote Miss Mosher a letter on the second day back and I have not heard from her yet.  She has always been so very punctual in answering letters before this.  You might call her as just a casual check and inquire about it.
I imagine that the Christmas carols which you speak of are quite nice and I would like to hear them.  You showed me the material for your house dress and I liked it quite a bit.
It was too bad that you could not get tickets to the Ice Follies for you would have liked them if they were anything like they were when we went.
They use the gas here in the hospital once in a while and it is usually a mixture of two or three kinds and they use a mask affair hooked up to a set of small tanks.
I have mentioned the child of Cousin Gertrude just as tho she knew about it for I supposed that she did and I have not mentioned anything else about it.
I will be on the look out for lonely fellow and if I run across any of them I will send their names to you.  I think that it is a very good idea.
Your mentioning Christmas cards reminds me that I will have to get busy and get my lists ready and get the cards and get them addressed and already to send, and then I won’t have to worry about when the time comes.
Well we have had a hard day and they do become tiresome and then all I have done is a lot of paper work and my eyes become tired after a day or so of it.  But believe it or not I am well caught up in my work in fact more so than I have ever been.
Here it is getting late and my bed time, so Good Night for now.  And I will write again soon,

Your Son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment