Wednesday, January 25, 2012

June 20, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

June 20, 1943

My dear Mother:
Here I am again on Sunday and again on CQ.  It seems that my every nine days comes around quite frequently but time does fly. And it has been quite a mad house here this last week.
My captain has been in the hospital this last week and instead of him or his usual two hands there has been about twenty in everything that we have attempted to do and what a mess.
We as I have told you before are going on the three days bivouac tomorrow and they all have their own individual impractical ideas on how it should be run.  And the lieutenants here who have been on them have nothing to say per usual.
I am not going to even try and write while out for it will be too much trouble. But will write as soon as I return.
The other day the entire 95th Division had perhaps their final review anyway here at Fort Sam Houston and I had half a notion to go up on the post and see it because it is something which a person if possible should see.  I think that there were about fifteen generals present.  I will try and send you a picture of some of them in this letter.  You know that the Division should have about 15,000 in it and with all their equipment and trucks they would make quite a show.
I went in a grand style to the post several days last week.  Went in four times in one day.  I had to go to the Post Surgeon office, Hospital, Post Headquarters, Service School, Finance Office and then here.  And what amuses me is the fact that I am saluted time and time again, because it is usually only officers that use a command with a white star painted on the car in four places: doors, top and rear deck.
The picture of the Amaryllis was very good although they both could have been a little more developed or something wrong with them.
Yes, we have heard of the Zoot Suit gangs in LA.  Pictures in the papers etc showing in the jails etc the various members of the gang.
Your question on the Group here are perhaps some that nobody knows much about.  There is already one of this kind of Group in Africa, one in England.  We only have one of these for each army and some tell us that we will be the fifth and others tell us different.
In the Medical Army there are 6 echelons: 1 Battalion Aid Station, 2 Collecting Co., 3 Clearing company, 4. Evacuation Hospital, 6 Receiving hospitals (ex Brooke Gen).
The Aid station is from 3-800 yards from the front.  The collecting is from 12-2000 yards from front.  The Clearing Company is about five to seven miles while the evacuation hospital on where the nearest port or anything of that type is.  There is one clearing station for each Division. There is a collecting Co for each Regiment.
I received a letter from Cousin Gertrude the other day and she tells me that Dad’s Aunt Edith’s husband in Chicago died.  I wonder what she will do now?  Altho I suppose she is quite tired after so many years of worrying.
Will you have some more of the pictures printed of myself on the porch, also you will find enclosed some negatives which you can have five made of each for me.
I received a very nice letter of recommendation the other day from Miss Mosher, which I am going to submit after my return and then hope that it goes thru and is over with before my furlough, because I would hate to have that mess come up when I am not here.
I hope to have another surprise for you upon my arrival home
… seemingly one missing page…
port is etc.
Well it is getting quite late and I must be thinking of going to bed so that I may be able to get up in the morning and awaken the rest of the Co.
I just tried to fix out a letter recommending Capt Skinner for appointment to a Majority but I gave up those letters are a mess so I gave it up and decided to get one of the clerks to do it.  They are all so complicated and I am no typist anyway.
Sgt Ryan my friend here is having quite a time with his application for OCS too.
Well good night and good bye for now.  Will write you upon my return to the camp here.

Love,

Your son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment