Monday, January 23, 2012

June 13, 1943


Cpl Stanley W Safford
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas

June 13, 1943

My dear Mother:

Once again I will take my pen in hand and will write you a letter and I am sure that I will this one and several more today for it has begun to rain outside and looks as though it were going to do so all day.
I have some very good news for you this time which I am sure you will also like very much.  I am going to come home around the 15 of July unless they change their mind very suddenly.  It will take me from 44-48 hours to get home.  The train that I may take will very likely be the one late at night or the one which leaved San Antonio about two o’clock AM. But when the time comes I will let you know.  I will very likely travel with one of the boys here that will have to go by way of LA and perhaps the car will take me to the depot maybe if I can pull the right strings.
I am very tardy in my answer or rather my letter to you this time.
The other day we went for a nice little hike and the Major asked me to follow up in the rear with him and about five other captains.  They were certainly well tired out when they got back.  It certainly amuses me to sit in the office once there and hear them think of every excuse under the sun to get out of going on a hike or something of that type.
I ate the third cupcake the other day and it was very delicious as yet.
You asking the price of the postal telegraph.  It came to about $1.30 for that amount. Since it was Monday and I would have been unable to have gotten a money order before Saturday and it would not have been as safe as there so it was worth it to me.
Yes the Corporal is something quite new. And I adds importance to myself around here.  And it is quite funny to hear myself called Corporal Safford. And if not that they call m just plain Corp.  These are only three of us here at Dodd Field and I am the only one that they come in contact with to any great extent.
I had CQ last evening and night and I do believe that I got about two hours sleep all night between signing for telegrams and the drunks coming in all hours of the night.  And then just let someone want something and down they come, without any regard for the other person.
Again on the subject of the money order. When I went down to send it everybody turned around to look when I told the girl the amount.
Muriel did not have much to say in her letter only about what Nelson had given her for her birthday.  But you might tell her that Esther’s name is not spelled Easter.  I am going to enclose her letter and let you take a look at a very charming letter for a change.
Well we have gone to dinner now and are back.  The rain is coming down in sheets outside and the street outside is running full. And above all else the awful tent is leaking like a sieve and blowing in the screened sides and making a grand mess of everything.
I am going to send out the letters asking for the letters of recommendation today and finally get that application in and see how it comes out.  In the meantime I will sit here and hope that it does through satisfactorily.
I don’t know whether or not I mentioned it before or not but the last few days we have been quite busy or shall I say the others have while I have been making lists of them of about $90,000 dollars worth of instruments and they are really a very beautiful group of instruments.  They are all in elaborate folding cases and fancy cases.  I can very easily see just where the money goes around here.  And then just let us try and get some small fifteen cents item that doesn’t amount to anything or even an extra ream of paper, they tell us that they are economizing then turn around and put 6 forceps in each set that cost about $4.50 each that are used on one type of a very rare female operation of some kind.
When and if you see Aunt Nina you ask her if she has ever seen any other colors of Mexican blown glass that she likes as well as the blue.  They make a very pretty amber and also a led that is quite pretty but not quite as common as the other.  They charge very elaborate prices here for them.  While down in Mexico they come quite cheap.
The boys that are leaving tomorrow on their furloughs which do not start until 12:01 tomorrow morning and they are all hanging around waiting around until then.
How much do you have on hand of mine now, including the last that I sent home.  I may need some of it before I come home.  I know that I will have enough for my ticket but how much extra I can’t just yet tell and I will have a pay day upon my return back here. And also my rations etc.
The records you mention are the ones which the Pepsi Cola people are making for the soldiers merely as an advertisement[1]. Some of them are rather good while others are no good at all.
I am anxious to hear how the Prentice case comes out.  I hope that the judge soaks them good.
There is one of the individuals here that is getting furlough now and I don’t think that he has been entirely sober a dau since he has been here.  One day he was good and drunk, so to avoid him being seen by the Lt. in the morning class, so the Sergeants took him and hid on one of the empty tents and he didn’t come to until late that evening and then didn’t know where he was or what he had been doing.
Yes, we have case after case that s about the same and some of them are so funny.
The amaryllis is the type that goes dormant previous to bloom and really begins to grow and multiply after blooming.
I hope the yard is pretty when I come home. Have you had any Brussels sprouts yet from the plants which I left there.
You are not going to spend all your time cooking when I come home.  I am going to take you out to dinner for a change.
I had better close now and will write more later and very likely a little plainer at that time.

Your son,
Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment