Tuesday, January 31, 2012

October 10, 1943


Sgt Stanley W Safford 39539976
5th Auxiliary Surgical Group
Dodd Field
Ft Sam Houston
Texas
 
October 10, 1943

My dear Mother:

It is raining outside today and it is beginning to dampen down the dust and wash the dust from the beginning to smell and look a little better.
Went into town yesterday and had dinner at a very nice cafeteria and after that went  to a show which I thought very good and you very likely will think the same when you see it.  Johnnie Come Lately[1] with James Cagney.
I have seen two shows in the past week, which is more than I had seen in the previous two months.  The other one I speak of is “The Constant Nymph[2] (the one you had seen) which was very good.  Mrs. Tedesco and myself went to dinner at an Italia place here and after that we went t the show.  In all we had a very enjoyable evening and the dinner was very good even tho I did get some of it on my shirt, which I had just put on clean that evening.  Gladys was planning on going to dinner with us but we received the news that her house had burned down the night before so she called and said that she would be unable to come along.  Fortunately I had not as yet given her the little Redwood vase or it would have been gone and she said it would be something for her to start again with.
Enclosed you will find a money order for twenty dollars which will be part payment on what I owe you.  The balance will come later and my next check will be a little larger anyway.  I am sorry that I am so tardy in paying you.
I received a letter from Ray Coates a couple days ago.  He was home on furlough from the 1st to 15th September and is now stationed at Camp Mystic[3] which is about 15 miles from here and he has been asked to help organize the Special Service office there by the lead of Special Services in this area.
It may turn into something good for him.  It is a camp for convalescing patients.  We now have about 400 of them here at  FSH.  They are keeping them in some of the large barracks.
Also received a letter from Alvin Whitney now T/5 and he had also been home on a furlough.  He as always had a lot of interesting news and he is planning on coming down one of these week-ends.
Today I received a letter from Marshall and he is starting back to school now and he speaks as tho he were not too happy there because of the attitude of the people etc.
I certainly feel sorry for him in his present position.  He certainly wrote a nice long letter and as always in his style quite nice.  I am about the same as yourself when it comes to looking ahead I never plan on anything because if I do I am very apt to be quite disappointed.  And as every day goes by my patience become quite stronger and I live with the thought in mind of keeping busy and waiting.  I suppose that is why I work so hard here and why I am always on the run.  Yes, I can well understand what you mean that perhaps is another reason why I do not have to go to town and get drunk.  I keep myself busy all the time and don’t allow myself to become idle.  That is also a reason why my money goes so rapidly.
I wanted to more or less surprise you about the Sgt’cy and I did nothing other than put the return on Jay’s letter the same as yours.  It did not coma as a surprise to me tho, and I have earned it where a lot of them did not.  And I have been told that it is a shame that I can go no farther.
As for the OCS, I have just about given up hopes and the reason is that they are really having a shake-up in the schools and are changing things quite a bit.
So maybe it won’t ever come my way.  But when I give up hopes it will come.
Major Grubin here in P&T Office says now that Major Skinner can have the job when he gets back, and he will go on DS to the hospital to study, so maybe it won’t be so bad after all.  He is a pretty good person even tho he is a Jew.
The dog operations were just experimental and I did not exactly approve of the last two since it is giving the dogs a lot of pain and they are very slow to recover.
We are expecting to start wearing the wool about the fifteenth of October although nothing definite as yet.  The nights here have been quite cold and we have to wear a field jacket in the morning to keep warm.
This last week they took twelve men from us to use on a train of trucks going to San Francisco POC.  They will be used as guards and will have a layover of three or four days in California.  Of course I never get in on anything of that type.  Only Mexicans and the rest of the louts get that type of thing.
Well the afternoon draws on and I still have some work to do on some more lists and be glad to get them done for we have been working on them for three days.
John Langstadt is in Denver and he expects to be leaving soon.  I well have to write him also very soon or he will get away.
I am wondering if Dad had any luck deer hunting or if he came back empty handed.
How is Aunt Nina getting along.  Has she had her operation yet?
Well I close giving you all my love as ever,

Your son,

Stanley


[3] Camp Mystic is a summer camp for girls on the South Fork of the Guadalupe River three miles southwest of Hunt in central Kerr County. It was established in 1926 by E. J. (Doc) Stewart, former head football coach at the University of Texas, who had founded Camp Stewart for boys in the same area two years earlier. Camp Mystic, known originally as Stewart's Camp for Girls, provided facilities for outdoor activities and instruction in roping, marksmanship, music, painting, and drama. In 1937 the camp was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Gilespie Stacy and in 1968 was owned by a group of investors that included Stacy family members. The camp has remained in continuous operation since its founding, except for the years 1943–45, when it was leased by the federal government as a convalescent camp for army air corps veterans of World War II.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Frank R. Gilliland, Kerrville, Texas: A Social and Economic History (M.A. thesis, Stephen F. Austin State College, 1951). Kerrville Daily Times, February 25, 1968.
Rebecca J. Herring, "CAMP MYSTIC," Handbook of Texas Online - http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xvc01 -  accessed January 31, 2012. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment